Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Front wheel weights

Coadster32

I was pondering this morning about making a set of front wheel weights for my 854. (I just seen I missed a set last night that was up for sale approx. 10 minutes). Anyway, I thought if I lay the rim face down, and lay a couple of plastic garbage bags in the rims, stick a couple of bolts thru, and pour cement into it, it should fit well, and be removeable. I'm sure others have done this, and was wondering if it's a waste of time, or worth it. How much weight do you think I'd get out of it? I could potentially do both sides of the rim as well. It's a standard 4-8 rim.

can whlvr

i have made both front and rear concrete weights,i had a rear weight that WOULD not come out of the rim,i had to jack hammer it out and i beat up the rim real bad trying to get it out,now i use a pail that is sized just right,then i cut the pail to get it off,just my 2 cents

Rollerman

You could do that...

Or watch your local classifides & Craigslist for the cast iron weight lifting weights.

I think it's the 20 pounders that will fit right inside the lip of the rim.

If you find a set for the "olympic" size bar you can set them on the inside around the spindle.

Drill two holes through the weight to line up with the rims & your set.

Coadster32

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes out for lifting weights. The right ones are hard to justify money-wise. I'd be pretty :ychain: if I had to jack-hammer my rims.

DMK855

Coadster, ever think about making lead weights?? Polaris2007's thread about the rear weights is pretty impressive. They have to be the best lead weights hands down. I am sure you could find a way to make a mold for the front weights and "machine" them to fit just how you want....... Just a thought!!

WHC-125

Hey Chris, I have a set of front cast iron weights, I might even have 2 sets. I gotta check. If you think its something you would be interested in give me a call.

Coadster32

Well, I went in a little bit of a different direction. We had a job come thru the shop that got cancelled, and a bunch of material left over. Turns out to be 81lbs under the engine for me. :ychain: A bit hard to see, and a bit inconspicious, but that was the whole idea. I thought about the extra weight on the front spindles, but if others are putting a 12-16hp Kohler on these guys, this would be the weight difference anyhow. $10 at Home depot for bolts, paint-brushes and a bit of paint. That's the best weight to price ratio I've gotten yet!

DSCF0098-2.jpg

DSCF0099-1.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0100-1.jpg

I do thank you guys for your input, and thanks a bunch Chris for the offer.

WHC-125

No problem Chris...It came out nice though and glad to see you got that all settled :ychain:

d180man

Hi nice tractor ! :ychain: :D

can whlvr

nice job,and nice tractor

jimbotelho

CHRIS DO YOU HAVE WEIGHTS FOR SALE??PM ME IF YOU DO THANKS jIM :ychain::D:D :hide:

Coadster32

CHRIS DO YOU HAVE WEIGHTS FOR SALE

Sorry Jim, that was a "Johnny on the spot" deal. The day after the material went back on the stock rack, I scouped it up, and had them on the tractor!

COMMANDO1

I like the looks of your wh, black plow frame, back of plow black. great color scheme. giving me some ideas

dgoyette

Wow that should make a huge difference in steering and plowing with an angled blade. Nice!

Coadster32

Thanks a bunch for the comliments guys. The weight made a huge difference. The city came by to finish up the roads the day I did this. I got a bit of seat time in to try it out. This thing plows awesome! :ychain: I'm very impressed with the power when the govenor kicks in. It's nice to be able to steer again!