Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

HELP!!! Snow & the tractor is down!

chesbaycruiser

Need help! It's one of those rare occasions when we've got snow in the Mid-Atlantic and my buddy's tractor is down. It's a 1996-ish 314-8.

The gear select (not the hi-low) lever has come loose. It does not come all the way out, but it moves up and down and around but is not shifting.

Suggestions? Is this a repair requiring a tear-down? What needs to happen?!?!?

:ychain: Please!

wallfish

It sounds like the pin has broken. Loosen the pin that holds the shifter in and look inside the hole. The forks should make a square opening when it's in neutral. If they do not then you can move them with a screw driver. Look at the tip of the pin and it should look like a pin with no threads at the tip of it. Check the shifter as well. It's possible the roll pin that holds the ball on has come loose or broken.

chesbaycruiser

Thanks Wallfish!

I'll pass along the info!

CB

:ychain:

jtfiengo

Hello gents.

I just had a similar issue occur on my C-125 today while using my blower attatchment after our recent 22" snowfall. My gosh how this horse can work!

I went to make a rapid traverse from reverse-2 to 1-2 today, and the shifter came right out of the tranny. All freaked out: I was on my knees on a snowbank with the unit, trying to fit the setscrew back in properly. Not an easy task in a hurry.

Managed to get her back into first in the dark and got her back across the street into the "stable". At first glimpse it seemed as if the "special" set screw just backed out. In fact, I found the "special" setscrew was sitting atop of the trans when I first pulled the cover plate off.

Closer inspection revealed that the spirol pin in the "ball piviot" did in fact shatter into three parts. If i have one word advice/lesson learned: even if you see the pin at both ends of the "ball piviot" Push on that pin with a punch and make sure it's not fractured.

Dont belive this is a major deal, just a sign of 910 hours of faithful duty (904 of which by a questionable operator/menchanic).

Suppose now is a good time to check all of my keyways and setscrews now that the clearing has been done, she's on the lift and her skirts are off!

-John

P.S. The best things in life are free!....This machine was given to me by a co-worker who gave up on it after the points went bad and the throttle shaft bushing wore out. I almost feel guilty......NAH!

Duff

:thumbs: !

Duff :banghead:

mattd860

Hello gents.

I just had a similar issue occur on my C-125 today while using my blower attatchment after our recent 22" snowfall. My gosh how this horse can work!

I went to make a rapid traverse from reverse-2 to 1-2 today, and the shifter came right out of the tranny. All freaked out: I was on my knees on a snowbank with the unit, trying to fit the setscrew back in properly. Not an easy task in a hurry.

Managed to get her back into first in the dark and got her back across the street into the "stable". At first glimpse it seemed as if the "special" set screw just backed out. In fact, I found the "special" setscrew was sitting atop of the trans when I first pulled the cover plate off.

Closer inspection revealed that the spirol pin in the "ball piviot" did in fact shatter into three parts. If i have one word advice/lesson learned: even if you see the pin at both ends of the "ball piviot" Push on that pin with a punch and make sure it's not fractured.

Dont belive this is a major deal, just a sign of 910 hours of faithful duty (904 of which by a questionable operator/menchanic).

Suppose now is a good time to check all of my keyways and setscrews now that the clearing has been done, she's on the lift and her skirts are off!

-John

P.S. The best things in life are free!....This machine was given to me by a co-worker who gave up on it after the points went bad and the throttle shaft bushing wore out. I almost feel guilty......NAH!

John - great story and welcome! My coworker recently gave me a 418-8 with a deck, cart, and plow all in working condition. I know how you feel...

can whlvr

:banghead: wow,your a lucky guy to get a free horse,i find that going over the tractor is more than half the fun of owning a wheelhorse,and u get to know to know your machine better