ftlboy717

wheelhorse aircompressor

ftlboy717

hello every one i have an old single cylinder aircompressor pump and im going to mount it to the front of my wheel horse raider 12 . i am going to use a small tank of somesort so it pumps up presure really fast.im in need of a front tachamatic any one have one laying around for cheap? i was also thinking of making a tractor run off this air compressor pump,just a lil idea i had.i was also thinking of a way to hook up a tank to keep it going once it gets started,im sure some one has thought of this already but i havent really seen it done anywere. i think i may be on to something here! ill update as soon as i get started on it. some tell me im going green! lol

Save Old Iron

ftlboy717,

timely post.

I was going to ask the group how a gas powered compressor worked. Electrics, just shut down the compressor motor and I'm guessing the gas powered ones use some type of unloader valve ?

I imagine a compressor head could be powered off an electric PTO from the wheelhorse. The PTO clutch could be wired into the pressure switch on the electric compressor based controls. A second option would be the gas powered compressor and keep the PTO engaged all the time.

Interesting stuff.

Keep us updated on your research.

• Like 1

MikesRJ

Normally a check-valve/pressure relief replaces the shut-off switch. When the pressure reaches the set-point, the valve opens and releases head pressure from the compressor piston (allowing it to free-wheel), and the check valve portion does not allow line (or reserve tank) pressure to back-flow. The switching can be either purely mechanical or electro-mechanical.

Dale

If it had a electric clutch, you could hook a presure switch up to it and the clutch would cut off and on. You can get the switch at the hardware store, be sure to get one for air not water. IF you want smaller, ARB makes a small pressure switch for off-road rearend air locker.

mavfreak

I know of someone on here doing this but for the life of me I can't find the thread.

Kelly

I believe there was a compressor attachment made for a WH, I know they made them for JD garden tractors, I've seen a few bring BIG money.

MikesRJ

Toro made two as model numbers 07348 (1994 and 1999) and 154036 (not sure on the year), but I don't think specifically Wheel Horse made. I suppose there could have been another OEM which made units WH dealers may have sold.

TT

I saw this at a local show. Even though I couldn't quite figure it out completely, I know a compressor with an electric clutch was used (think car A/C clutch) :

namas2009024.jpg

Rube Goldberg - eat your heart out! :ychain:

namas2009025.jpg

mavfreak

TT was that air driven or was it a diesel? :ychain:

TT

Standard belt drive from the engine.

Kelly

Here is a factory JD set up, not the biggest picture but it was a factory item, and bring big money.

jdcomperssor.jpg

looks like a WH set could be made very easy like that.

linen beige

Back in the mid '60s my dad bought a line marking machine to paint parking lots. It has THOUSANDS of hours on it. The compressor pumps all the time and the pressure relief valve keeps the tank from getting to a dangerous level. This setup has been used by builders of these machines for decades. Were I driving a compressor from a tractor pto I would leave the pto live and set the "pop off" valve below the safety limit of the tank. A second relief valve, set above the level of the main one, will protect against the main valve sticking closed.

Switching an electric pto off and on every few seconds would most likely wear it out very quickly.

rickv1957

Here is a factory JD set up, not the biggest picture but it was a factory item, and bring big money.

Nice set up there!!!

mavfreak

Thats an intersting jd set up looks very heavy, Hard to steer maybe.

ftlboy717

yea that was my idea something like the jd setup only my pump is a single cylinder and doesnt pump fast so i am looking for a smaller tank.i have a tank thats no bigger than a soup can,you wouldnt think it would work that well but as soon as the pump fires up its ready for use.i have an emglo wheelborrow type compressor the one tank has a hole in it so i am thinking about useing the one good tank for my setup

JUSS10

I'll add my .02 cents here. an easy setup that most people may not know about is using an old car AC pump. i have a few offroad jeeps and off roaders like to run an on board air system so they can air up tires or use air tools while on the trail. the AC compressor of choice is an older york compressor that was found on cars and trucks on the 70's. there are a few other makes and models but thats the preferred one. whats cool is the compressor has a built in electric clutch so by using a pressure switch, once your tank hits a certain PSI it will kill the clutch and allow the pulley on the compressor to free spool. here is a schematic of how it works

YorkDiagram.JPG

there is also a company called kilby enterprises that sells kits and their site has a lot of info onboardair.com

i have the parts to build the setup and would like to throw it on one of my tractors but it will most likely get put on my jeep as it will get more use there.

regardless, this is another cool option that could be built out of spare parts and such :banghead:

TT

I believe there was a compressor attachment made for a WH, I know they made them for JD garden tractors

I finally found a picture!

comp.jpg

Look familiar? :banghead:

KC9KAS

Kelly....from the info TT sent, I think :banghead: has already set up a compressor for a tractor!

bitten

Fliteway sales of Wisconsin made one for :banghead:

ebinmaine

Here's a super old thread found by @DennisThornton

I may have to put one of these on my project list.