Sign in to follow this  
theoldwizard1

Ford = Wheel Horse ?

theoldwizard1

I know back in the 60s and 70s that Ford sold garden tractors, snowblowers and I think even lawn mowers. I also know that Ford did not build most (any?) of these items (although they did build refrigerators and television under the Philco brand).

So is this "rumor" true and how do I know which Ford garden tractors where made by Wheel Horse and how close are they to what model of Wheel Horse ?

wheel horse man

ford back in the 60s and 70s were made buy jacobson. jacobson made tractors and sold them to ford, oliver, minnapoles moline, and white and town and country ford just took jacobson tractors and painted them blue and slapped ford decals on them . wheel horse in the 90s and 2000s made tractors for new holland thougth but ford never made wheel horse and also jacobson had 4speed pearless trans and wheel horse has a uni drive trans the trans in a horse is more square and the jacobson were more of a oval shape trans i know because i had a 1967 ford /jacobsn i so had just a jacobson they were identacal except for the paint i hope this answers your qustion

zieg72

Toro made some for Ford in the early to mid 90's the 260 series... or was it the other way around???

jpmcleod

I have (according to the owners manual) a Ford/Gilson that was made for Montgomery Wards. What a hard time trying to find parts for it.

My neighbor has a old Ford L&G tractor and it has no appearance at all to a Wheel Horse frame or sheet metal.

Redbirdman

ford back in the 60s and 70s were made buy jacobson

A 63-64 era (not sure exacty) Jacobson.......(the girl is circa 1964 and the machine went through at least one winter already)

My dad was a dealer for almost all the brands and I don't remember ever seeing anything with the quality of a Horse :ychain: in different colors... even then you can see the Jac was rather "tinny".. :D

KCanddadonJAC.jpg

PS: There were no safety rules, OSHA or Lawyers back then you just had to watch your kids!

rickv1957

Dont know of any common tractors between sears and :ychain: ,Rick

hm12460

x2, jacobsen made garden tractors for several different companies back in the 60's-early 70's. Some relative's had an old Minneapolis Moline garden tractor back then and i sure wish i had it now. My great uncle was a Moline dealer back then also. Toro did make some garden tractor's for Ford and New Holland in the 90's, but i'm not sure of the exact years and models.

TT

Absolutely no connection between Wheel Horse and Ford/Jacobsen - or any other brand that I can think of. (except for Elec-Trak and Reo spin-offs and the Gutbrod/D-250)

Toro and Ford/New Holland did have a little thing going in the 90's with the LS & GT models, but I never really paid much attention to them - since they weren't based on the original WH design.

Jacbosen and most of the other top manufacturers of garden tractors built some good equipment 30/40/50/60 years ago. They were all better than the AYP & MTD garbage that's currently on the market. :ychain:

theoldwizard1

Thanks for straightening me out !

WheelHorse_of_course

Few pictures over on MTF of a New Holland GT20, should be the same as a Toro 520Lxi.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=93196

Right. And at least one time Ford owned New Holland (or the other way around!). And these ARE Ford Blue.

That is how these rumors get started.

:D :ychain: