Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

ID this tractor

dgjks6

So I have been bored at work and browsing ebay and saw this and it brought back memories. I have been trying to figure out what wheel horse I grew up with and this is the closest pic I have seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/wheel-horse-garden-tra...=item2a0cae70da

I drove it every week from 1983 until we got the 312-8 in 89. The tractor was a rusty shade of red, had the red/black sticker and I don't remember a little sticker below that identifying the model.

I was a horizontal engine with the old style PTO lever. It ha dthe throttle/choke knobs that you pull out that said T and C, had a cigar lighter and headlights.

No gauges that I remember.

Now for the difference, it had footrests not the full footboards.

I recall an 8hp motor, but my brother swears it was a 12hp.

Any ideas?

TT

The one on eBay is a "mutt" - or whatever you call a Horse that isn't purebred. :D

Push-pull control cables and the dark gray/red stickers date it to 1970/1971, but stirrup footrests were last used in 1968. :ychain:

Keep diggin' - and don't forget to look through the gallery here on the forum.

dgjks6

OK - I am stuck. Looked at every pic I can find and went through all the toro parts manuals and no luck.

From what I can see you are right, the foot rests changed in the late 60's to full foot rests. And in 73 they all had levers instead of pull knobs.

This is what I know for sure:

My dad would never have done any work to the tractor so the foot rests were original and so were the stickers.

I had a PTO.

There is a lack of pictures from the 70-72 models, so if you got one post it for me so I can on by one rule out models.

racinfool40

the one you posted looks to me like a charger / raider with a messed up hood if you look close someone welded extensions on the hood pivot area???here's some pics of my 70 raider 12 and 73 12hp-8sp/Raider I hope they help you:

DSCF1549.jpg

the above pic is a 1970 and the one below is a 1973:

DSCF1684.jpg

hard to tell what you had but I hope you can narrow it down..Here's a link to my photobucket if you would like to see some more pics:

http://s823.photobucket.com/home/michaelbi...;cpZZ3QQtppZZ24

I hope this helps you out!!MIKE

TT

There is a lack of pictures from the 70-72 models, so if you got one post it for me so I can on by one rule out models.

Try page 2. :ychain:

dgjks6

:ychain:

dgjks6

I have been through every picture on the site and every picture on the internet that I can find. There are no tractors with the black/red decal and the older style footrests, but- here's the closest I have found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-Wheel-Horse-Snow-...=item1e6088ee93

The search continues - at least until its safe to go out in the garage and continue my teardown of my c-85