Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

42" Snow plow project done finally

Horse'n Around

Howdy,

Ive been working on modifying a blade to fit the frame that I got with my Raider and Ive got it all done now.Overall Im very happy with how it turned out. the blade has a lot of deep pitting which from what Ive read here means that it might be too good for snow because the blade should be smooth and this defineately isnt. I made new brackets and pretty much altered the blade to look like the Wheel horse blades that Ive seen. My main goal was for it to be functional and not to change anything on the frame so that in the future I can utilize any Wheel horse blade that was made to fit it. Im going to need to fabricate the rod that goes from the lever to the blade that moves it left /right or center.That should be easy once I figure out how long it should be for clearance reasons. In the picture youll notice that the old wear edge part was beyond help to say the least so I made one and drilled it this afternoon and painted it, I will put it on tomorrow and it should be good to go. I put a quickie coat of red for now to protect the metal. Im do a better job on painting later. I have a ripper that I made back in high school and gannon box type thing that Im going to clean up and paint so ill wait and do them all together. I made the ripper for someone here in 1980 in Ag Class and as luck would have it here almost 30 years later I now own it. They both are made for a 3 point hitch so Im making a 3 point setup that will work on the 702's as well as the Raider.

Ive finally pretty much got the hang of welding with flux core wire thankfully. My first welds with it were strong but looked like bird poop and they embarassed me. I have used MIG's for over 30 years and love the welds useing a MIG but I must admit the wire feed welding with flux core wire took some getting used to. I have the MIG kit for my Lincoln wire feed now so that I can use argon/CO2 gas and finally MIG weld .... it is a Christmas present from my wife. I just need to buy the bottle and Im good to go :D

I have a question about the frame, it has a second set of holes for the round bar at the rear for the attachment point. This came on the Raider... if I move the bar to the foward position, will this fit my 702's also? I cant use my Raider yet because the transmission is absolute toast but my 702 runs great. If it will fit I sure could use it to knock down a pile of sand and spread it around, instead of having to do it with a shovel and rake :ychain: Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Well heres some pics.

John

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Picture086.jpg

TT

Looks great, John!

Yes - it should work on the 702 if you move the mounting rod to the front holes. :ychain:

Coadster32

Looks like that plow will have quite the weight to it. Shouldn't have any picking-up problems with that.

Horse'n Around

Thanks for the complements,and the interchange information. Im going to try it on the 702 and make sure. As for the weight...it looks heavier than it is.It isnt light but its easily manageable. Without a common frame of reference as to how heavy a Wheel Horse set up is I have nothing to compare it to. The rectangular piece looks like it might be solid but its actually a piece of fairly light guage channel iron to give the blade some added rigidity so it wouldnt bow and also because a lot of the Wheel Horse blades I saw had something similar on them so I copied them the best that I could. Also without it, I would have only been able to weld the mount to the blade, with the channel iron I was able to weld the mounts onto the blade horizontally and vertically over the channel iron which would be a much stronger joint.I didnt like it having the open ends because it looked cruddy and unfinished plus they would just fill up with all sorts of junk so I welded a piece of 1/4" plate on the end and ground it all smooth.

John

DMK855

Looks Good John!! :ychain:

BTW, noticed your signature..... Did I miss the good news??!!

Coadster32

Nice job closing up the channel, cuz I certainly didn't notice. :ychain: Good luck on the move also. May this curveball be good to you.

Ken B

Very nice clean work. :ychain: My blade is pitted to all hell as well. I gave it a good scuffing and rolled on some thick oil-based red paint.

rickv1957

Nice work on your blade!!! :ychain: