Sign in to follow this  
bigblue12v

My snow behemoth

NOSpam

:ychain: looking machine!!!

Pam

Gerry w

Eric, well done!!

I like your inventiveness..it's a beastie for sure!!

Could you take some close ups of your hook up on the blower chute turning motor add on?? You have a neat idea there and it would work like a charm on a stock D blower too I believe!

Thanks for sharing with us all!

Gerry

bigblue12v

Here's a couple pics of it Gerry... I definitely don't recommend using a wiper motor for the simple fact that its a royal pain to insulate the mounting. A window motor (as others have used) would be perfect I just didn't have one laying around. The cable winder was crimped on one end and a eye bolt slid down into it, and the crank rod hooked into the eye bolt.. kinda hard to explain. But I took the eye bolt out and welded the wiper linkage to the winder shaft, and it splines onto the motor shaft, and the motor is welded to the bracket. Its not the best solution long term but I think it'll be fine.. Wiper motor will last a long time for this application so I'll deal with it when the time comes. There's a bushing on the end opposite of the motor, to support the winder shaft.

Clear as mud huh?

Got some better pics of the duals too...

photo21-2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

Belt routing pics:

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Nice work :D

So where does the rear end of the raise lower actuator attach?

What voltage are the two actuators. I have thought about using actuators from Satellite dishes which are generally 36 volts.

:D :ychain:

Gerry w

Thanks Eric!

I'm familiar with the eye bolt thing, was wondering what you did to solve it. Thanks for the pics, good job on setting that up, and great idea on the bushing on the end of the spindle. I've used a window motor for my D but have added the tall chute for the turning mech. to remove the problem that you have so neatly solved!

Once again well done and thanks so much for the pics and info!

Gerry :ychain: again!

bigblue12v

Nice work :D

So where does the rear end of the raise lower actuator attach?

What voltage are the two actuators. I have thought about using actuators from Satellite dishes which are generally 36 volts.

:D:ychain:

Thanks! 3rd pic down in the original post shows how the lift actuator is mounted. I made tabs and welded them to the mule pulley bracket.

These are both 12V units. Overall real happy with setup just wish the lift actuator was 2 or 3 times faster... I know if I ever replace it I will buy one that's geared faster but I'm too cheap, would rather use something I already have if possible. Considering the only money I've spent on all this is for the angle actuator and the lights on the blower and $20 for steel to extend the plow. So about $100. Bought the blower for $40 and the original plow for $75, so $215 for both attachments setup as you see in the pics. Plus a lot of time and a little scrap steel, wires and switches I had laying around and weld wire and gas, etc lol...

bigblue12v

Thanks Eric!

I'm familiar with the eye bolt thing, was wondering what you did to solve it. Thanks for the pics, good job on setting that up, and great idea on the bushing on the end of the spindle. I've used a window motor for my D but have added the tall chute for the turning mech. to remove the problem that you have so neatly solved!

Once again well done and thanks so much for the pics and info!

Gerry :ychain: again!

The bushing on the other end of the winder shaft was already there... I just took out the eye bolt and welded the wiper lever (cut down a bit) off the motor to the winder shaft and the motor splined into it, then welded the motor housing to the bracket of the whole winder deal...

And you lost me somewhere in here: "have added the tall chute for the turning mech. to remove the problem" HUH???? Got a pic to help explain what you mean?

Gerry w

Sure, Look up Vermonster treads here, got a whole tread on it somewhere. Sorry my puter skills arn't the best or I'd give you a link.

Did a little work on a D blower, nothing like what you have done though!

bigblue12v

Nevermind I know what you mean now. Have seen the Vermonster post before, very impressive machine! Short chute Wheel Horse has a winder cable deal like mine. Tall chutes have a screw drive deal (which by the way I think is better, though the cables seem to work fine). You converted to the tall chute, gaining performance and screw drive for the chute out of the deal. Yes I understand completely. Well, I wanted screw drive but used what I had... it works and the price was right... however everyone's going ons about the tall chute on the horses makes me think maybe I should re-do mine a little... I think my blower sits tilted a little more than it was intended to, therefore the chute is angled toward the ground slightly more. It performs wonderful but I think i'm losing throwing distance that way. No matter really, it throws as far as I'd want to move the snow anyway. The only need to throw it further is just to say it can LOL

So I don't need to rework my chute, I just want to see how far it can really throw snow LOL

Hey can you imagine this thing in action? Its a "Snow Dragon" manufactured by S&W Commercial Welding, INC of Pekin, Illinois.

photo2-3.jpg

the tractor is Front Wheel Assist and has a 10' (I think) 4 way hydraulic blade up front, non-trip style. Saw him doing a driveway in a rural neighborhood and stopped to chat about the snowthrower, its pretty old he thought 70's I think 60's..... says it don't like wet stuff too well but on a good day will blow snow quite a ways.. I'd like to see it in action. They use the tractor about same way I use mine, main work with plow, use thrower to move back piles when they get too deep or to handle big nasty drifts. The chutes are chain-sprocket drive with hydraulic motor.

farmer

Woahhh :D i say :D Woahhh that's not a behemoth

thats a full on W M D :D

I fear for nature,

Where abouts did you say you were in Florida. :ychain:

:hide:

bigblue12v

dare I ask what WMD stands for? LOL

farmer

Eric,

I love it, don't have to have shiny paint. Hat's off to you.

W M D ?? Weapon of Mass Destruction, our country's have a few of them.

After the work you've put in, the least i could do was to come up with a name :D Very Inventive. :ychain: :D

bigblue12v

Hahah ok thanks, appreciate the compliments!

Gerry w

WOW!! I WANT one of those dragons!!!! Snow in Vermont be damned!! Never have seen anything like that!!

I really like your blower set up and if I had been thinking,(NOT a strong suit) I would have set up the D blower as you have without the hassel of changing the chutes! Again, well done! I believe there is a pro and con on the higher chute without having the 2 stage blower system, will have to get back to you on that now that the drive shaft is fixed!

Still have snow there to blow??

Well done Eric :ychain:

bigblue12v

LOL Much Thanks Gerry! Yes the tall chute seems to be preferred around this forum. All our snow melted, been around 50* the last few days. Supposed to snap colder this weekend and be cold all week. Its only gotten warmer in the last 4 days or so. Melted off all my white gold...

bigblue12v

Sorry the videos suck its hard to run the tractor with one hand. And the snowthrower vid sucks cuz I wasn't taking a full width bite and had to raise the blower up as it was on gravel... got home from 28 hrs in the plow truck and someone had done my driveway so i only had to touch it up and do my neighbor's drive....

photo317.jpg

photo223.jpg

photo31-1.jpg

CLICK ON THESE TWO TO SEE THE VIDEO:

[url=http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/af338/bigblue12v/?action=view

theoldwizard1

You could say its extremely complicated setup and sure it is WAAAY overkill but overkill happens to be my middle name and I have a lot of fun building stuff and making it cooler than the next person's stuff... "he who dies with the most (or coolest) toys wins!" LOL

I have figured out, that is what this hobby is all about !

Oh yeah and driving cool red tractors !!!

• Like 1

farmer

I've got to say, (coming from someone who doesn't suffer the very cold temps and wind chill that lots of you do) that the tractors "look" so much better without those cabs! I was beginning to think Nature wasn't going to show up for the fight!

Nice pics and video. :banghead:

d180man

Hi very nice !! :banghead: :thumbs:

Gerry w

That's kicking winters Butt!! Thanks for the Vids!!!

bigblue12v

Thanks guys! We are supposed to get up to 8" Monday so we will get to really put this beast to the test then!!!