Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Homemade Lead Wheel Weights

pumper.atv

weights on the wheels are better because all the weight is on the tires not on the axels

:ychain:

HorseFixer

weights on the wheels are better because all the weight is on the tires not on the axels

:D

Smart Man! :ychain:

linen beige

Has anyone tried painting lead?

Virtually every auto manufacturer used lead to blend joints between panels for decades. Basically the same surface prep as steel. If the surface is left bare it will develop a chalky film on the surface. This can be removed with a white vinegar wash.

bigblue12v

Years ago I went to the local scrapyard and bought wheel weights from cars, they used to buy lead (don't know if they still do, i assume so). They'll sell it by the pound. You'd have to find a way to remove the metal clips, i guess when ya melt it down they will fall to the bottom of the melt pot.

Those do look really great!

Trouty56

Most likely they float!!

HorseFixer

Most likely they float!!

More than most likely, It will float! A 3/4" Dia 4" bolt will float in molten Lead! :ychain: Did it last year. :D

Horse'n Around

Those sure came out nice and clean looking.When I need lead, I go about a mile from my house to the wash and pick it up there. Everyone goes there to shoot and there are 50 foot verticle clay walls and the bullets hit it and stick. I just go out there with a screw driver and collect it when I need some. But if I was going to attempt to pour some weights like these , it would take forever to find that much though :ychain: I go out there with some deputy friends and we practice every Wednesday afternoon or evening unless its the monsoon season, not good to be in the wash then.....flash floods. I also collect spent brass to reload too. If I cant use the caliber I just pass them on to someone who can. It sure saves a lot of money and it reduces the trash that some folks leave when they shoot.

John

Don1977

I saw where a guy made some lead weights from wheel weights he use a magnet

to remove the steel clips.

Polaris2007

Okay, so I am getting ready to paint these lead wheel weights. I was thinking IH red, but MikesRJ said he'd go with black. So now I can't decide. Does anyone know what color Wheel Horse painted their factory wheel weights in 1979? That might be the decision maker right there.

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Okay, so I am getting ready to paint these lead wheel weights. I was thinking IH red, but MikesRJ said he'd go with black. So now I can't decide. Does anyone know what color Wheel Horse painted their factory wheel weights in 1979? That might be the decision maker right there.

I've no idea but I'll take a guess that it was plaid.

Ya, I know.... I'm no help at all are I?

C-Series14
Okay, so I am getting ready to paint these lead wheel weights.

can whlvr

nice job,it feels good to do it your self ,i like the engraving wheelhorse too :ychain:

Zeek

Never ceases to amaze me what guys on this forum can do :ychain:

I bet those would polish up nice with a little elbow grease!