Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

417A why so many have bad engines?

HorseFixer

I have a 417A with a bad, blown, or locked up engine. I was told that this was because that they were non pressure lubricated. T-Mo corrected me in a post on this a couple weeks ago concerning the series two was produced before the 417a was produced which meant all 417A's indeed have the Series 2 Kohler engines that had the oil problem corrected. I have since investigated this and found It to be true. :D Thanks Terry. But Why do alot of 417A's I have found have bad engines? :ychain: I have since looked and indeed my 417A has a series II Engine :hide: Maybe I have just found or seen a slew of them with premature bad engines has anyone else seen this more in this model than any other or is it just me? :D

mr.pipes

I have a 417A with a bad blown, or locked up engine. I was told that it was because that they are non pressure lubricated. T-Mo corrected me in a post on this a couple weeks ago concerning the series two was produced before the 417a and I have since investigated and found that to be true. :D Thanks Terry. But Why do many of these tend have bad engines? :ychain:

I always thought the series II was introduced to alleviate the problems of the series I. My manual says Series II have a Full Pressure lubrication system. Other KT's use a Pressurized Spray lubrication system. KT17 II are serial 24300 and higher and KT17 are 24299 and lower. That info doesn't support the series II first thought. I could be wrong. I have never been wrong before. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken.

Both my Series II's are still running. I remember hearing there were smaller holes or passage ways for oil in the Series I.

T-Mo

Here is some info copied straight from WFM's Model Info section for the 317 - this explains some of the Series I and Series II differences.

It is no secret that the 317 has had its share of engine problems. Many of the model 317 tractors suffered catastrophic engine failure as a result of poor lubrication to the connecting rod journals of the crankshaft. The engine utilized a "Pressure spray" lubrication system, which operated at approximately 5 PSI and did not provide pressurized oil to the connecting rod journals. Instead, the connecting rod journals were lubricated with oil sprayed down from the camshaft. This resulted in inadequate lubrication, particularly if the tractor was operated on a side-hill incline. Kohler did not offer an immediate solution to this problem, and as an interim solution John Deere engineered a retrofit kit that would allow an Onan p218G to be installed into the 317 chassis.

Eventually Kohler did rectify the problematic KT17 engine by redesigning the engine with a full pressure lubrication system. Known as the KT17 Series II, the engine operated at a significantly higher oil pressure of 25-50 PSI. Kohler also cross-drilled the crankshaft, which allowed oil to be supplied under pressure to the connecting rod journals. The result was a much more durable engine with significantly longer life. A KT17 Series II engine can be identified by a specification (Spec.) number of 24300 or higher. Well into its last year of production, 1982, the 317 came equipped with a Kohler KT17 Series II engine as standard equipment from the factory. Unfortunately the reputation of the 317 and the original KT17 engine was well established by this point.

A lot of the Series II engines are still going today (in fact you can still find a good Series I engine, as long as it was well maintained and wasn't operated on slopes).

Kelly

I have a KT19 on my C-195 I believe is the same as the series 1 KT17 and it has 1200 hours on it, it puffs smoke at start up and under load but runs like a top, I have never had a serires 1 KT other than that one, but I know the magnum twin is a much better version of that same basic engine, I have a few, that have over 1000 hours and run strong.

Rollerman

I have a 417-8 here that runs like a top.

I prefer it over the Onan engines, but we all have are preferances.

zieg72

I have a 417-8 here that runs like a top.

I prefer it over the Onan engines, but we all have are preferances.

I have a 417-8 and I like the Onan better, they are much quieter especially when you have a winter cab but mine runs like a top as well and close to 900 hours on mine.

520HC

I have a John Deere with the original Series 1 in it. Has over 2000 hrs on it,never had a problem. People ran them low on oil,never changed the oil, and operated them on slopes.

Also have a WH C-195 with Series 1 still in it.I rebuilt it at 2500 hours and is still going strong.

bobert94

Just got done rebuilding my KT-19 just under 1800 hrs. Could find no oil related damage to motor only damage was to pistons from carbon cut. Parts are'nt cheap for the KT twins though, Cold have rebuilt 4 k series singles for the cost of one twin :ychain: