Sign in to follow this  
876wheelhorse

rim gaurd anyone use it ?

876wheelhorse

looking to get some tires filled with rimgaurd anyone here use it and what are the reviews of it? i want something not toxic my worst fear is a leak and posioning my animals.......

HankB

Rim Guard is also nice because it's denser than some other stuff so you get the most weight for the volume. But you have to find an authorized dealer. I went to my nearest Wally-World and got RV antifreeze. It's non-toxic and supposed to inhibit corrosion.

mr.pipes

I emailed them the other day for some info. I wanted to know where I could get it and if it were DIY or was I going to have to pay to have it installed. The woman that responded said it is DIY. I had read that is comparable in price to washer fluid. This in the info I got in the email.

Installing Rim Guard yourself depends on the size of the tire. Smaller tires can be removed from the tractor and deflated. Break the bead (assuming it is tubeless), and the liquid can be poured in from a bucket. Larger tires are simply too heavy to do this, and you have to pump it in through the valve stem with the core removed. Be sure to fill the tires only 75% full; otherwise the tire acts like it is over-inflated and the tractor will ride rough.

Complete tire filling procedures can be found at:

http://www.firestoneag.com/tiredata/info/info_hydro_1.asp

Kelly

Around here you can get it at a farm CO OP

COMMANDO1

I WORK FOR A PLUMBING WHOLESALER AND WE SELL A FOOD GRADE ANIFREEZE.

IT IS THE STUFF PEOPLE PUT IN POOLS (BOTTOM DRAINS) TO KEEP FROM FREEZING. IT IS ALSO USED FOR CAMPERS. I WILL CHECK ON PRICING AND POST LATER.

U CAN DRINK THIS STUFF.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS....HAVE TO BREAK A HABBIT.

pfrederi

I put rim guard in my D200 a couple of months ago. The guy I got it from had a table that said how many gallons were appropriate for a particular tire size.. the D200 rear wheels should have just somewhat over 8 gals. I bought 15 gals at $2.76 gal and added it using the bead break method described above.

I had the rear tires on my Farmall M loaded by the same fellow...but that I let him do 55 gals each

GlenPettit

just google " Rim Guard " and learn all the advantages.

Operator

I WORK FOR A PLUMBING WHOLESALER AND WE SELL A FOOD GRADE ANIFREEZE.

IT IS THE STUFF PEOPLE PUT IN POOLS (BOTTOM DRAINS) TO KEEP FROM FREEZING. IT IS ALSO USED FOR CAMPERS. I WILL CHECK ON PRICING AND POST LATER.

U CAN DRINK THIS STUFF.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS....HAVE TO BREAK A HABBIT.

You don't have to holler! :ychain:

Miller Tire use to have it, but quit do to storage problems. It would settle out then it was imposible to pump. They said it "stinks" . But it weighs over 10 lbs. a gallon

which is better than RV antifreeze at around 8.

I wonder if Fleet Farm or Runnings has it?

Randy

6wheeler

Randy, FleetFarm in Lakeville has it and so does TSC in Inver Grove heights(both reasonably close to you). But, my question is. Do you guys that use fluid, have a problem with sinking in the lawn if it is soft or wet? My tractors have to do double duty. Mowing and garden work. For plowing and discing, I think it would be great. Because, I have alot of traction loss. Plus, as some of you have read, the front ends get very light,when I don't lose traction. But, after I am done with fieldwork for the day, On go the decks. THANK GOD for Tachamatic :hide::D:D:D .But Maybe, that is also the reason I am not breaking stuff. Too much power, and not enough traction :ychain: . Have Fun Pat

Kelly

You could get another set of tires and wheels, just put studs in the rear hubs so tire changes will be much faster.

Operator

Thanks for that info Pat! And I have a TSC right in Prescott! 10 miles from me, Fleet Farm north in Hudson 22 miles! Beet Juice gotta get some.

You need another tractor Pat :ychain: for garden duty.

Randy

mr.pipes

Does TSC sell Rim Guard brand? I asked Rim Guard where I could get it and gave them my zip. They told me places further from me than TSC. I looked on TSC online and don't see Rim Guard. Thanks

Trouty56

The TSC that I visit doesn't have Rimguard. I'm sure the TSC stores are bigger in the farm belt though.

Try a tractor dealer in your area.

mr.pipes
The TSC that I visit doesn't have Rimguard.

6wheeler

:ychain: Well, sorry guys. I have to stand corrected here. As it turns out I was fed some wrong info. TSC nor Fleet Farm carries it. I called both places and was told, TSC misunderstood my question yesterday. They sell RV antifreeze for fluid in tires. Not Rimguard. FleetFarm does not carry any type of fluid, and does not recommend using it period.(At least that was his opinion) But, he can get me after market weights. Sorry for the mis-info. Pat

pfrederi

FleetFarm does not carry any type of fluid, and does not recommend using it period.(At least that was his opinion) But, he can get me after market weights. Sorry for the mis-info. Pat

That Fleet Farm guy obviously doesn't know Jack about farm tractors. 90% of real farmers and farm tractors have loaded tires. (and also added weights) Usually Calcium because its cheap but more and more are using rim guard or other non corrosive stuff.

Guess he has a higher profit margin on weights

HankB

That Fleet Farm guy obviously doesn't know Jack about farm tractors. 90% of real farmers and farm tractors have loaded tires. (and also added weights) Usually Calcium because its cheap but more and more are using rim guard or other non corrosive stuff.

Guess he has a higher profit margin on weights

To be fair to Farm and Fleet, TSC and probably others, they are IMO retail establishments. When it comes to buying parts and stuff, I think they cover it well. I can walk into a TSC and find an air filter for a K301 while that's a special order at my local Toro/Kubota/Stihl/ )

Fluid filling tractor tires for anything much bigger than our garden tractors is probably best done on site and thus represents a service. I don't think that's a part of the market they are involved in and may have no knowledge of that.

mr.pipes

If you send an email to sales@rimguard.biz and tell them you zip code they will provide you with a list of area dealers. Nice people and quick response.

Operator

If you send an email to sales@rimguard.biz and tell them you zip code they will provide you with a list of area dealers. Nice people and quick response.

I sent them an e-mail, I'll let you guys [ that's you Pat] know what I hear/read back.

Randy

876wheelhorse

i went up to my local tire place and he said he has some in stock said my tires would take 6-7 gallons in one and said it should be 70 plus pounds. my tractor will not movve with the snowblower on front. now get this done and then find some weights either wheel or hang on the back ones

Operator

I sent them an e-mail, I'll let you guys [ that's you Pat] know what I hear/read back.

Randy

I heard back from Tricia at Rimgaurd. Three places in my area!

Pat pay attention here:

Werner Imp. Vermillion

Neibur Imp. Miesville

Tricia ask how I heard about it, told her about Red Square!

Randy

Trouty56

Tricia ask how I heard about it, told her about Red Square!

Maybe we can get a group discount!!! :ychain:

876wheelhorse

i got them filled and i dont know what happened i noticed when i got them out of the car that one was heavier. so i grabbed the bathroom scales and one was 98 pounds and the other 74 i am thinking on going back up and seeing if they can put a couple more gallons in the one. other than that i tried it out and it for sure helped out i can actually move now. now i am building a weight box for the rear i have a I beam and i am going to try to fill the sides in with concrete i have some rods to weld in there to the concrete will hold to it.........some extra poundage never enough dont seem