Sign in to follow this  
jcb857

400 or 401

jcb857

i will get a pick of the ser. no tag tomarrow night my wife is a sleep photobucket stressed her out

TT

Does it look like the top part of this one?:

400550snplate.jpg

(cut off between the actual serial number and the "C" in the word CHOKE)

jcb857

linen beigethanks for that pic of the service bulletin

jcb857

the tag is square with a hole in the middle on the top it reads wheelhorse and below that it reads ser. noand the# is below that

linen beige

the tag is square with a hole in the middle on the top it reads wheelhorse and below that it reads ser. noand the# is below that

The early '61s used engine control lever cover plates left over from '60. These plates had serial numbers stamped into them for the '60 models. Wheel Horse cut off the bottom portion of these plates since they no longer needed the part that covered the levers and fastened them to the hoodstand. When these parts ran out they switched to decals.

Given the late '60 transmission casting number you have, your serial number, the cast clutch pedal, the hood stand with hole, hood style, and a couple other clues I'd say it's a pretty safe bet you have a '61 that has been fitted with '60 foot rests.

evanloock

Definitely a 401. Also the 401 did not have the footrests as standard equipment. They were an option. I am sure the dealer/factory had some 60 footrests left over and installed the same.

puddlejumper

Mystery solved :ychain:

Buckrancher recently got the info about the I in the casting numbers from TT when I came across a M on one of my 400 transmissons. (13 month of 59 didnt fit very well) So credit goes to TT I just repeated known Info. :D

jcb857

Thank you to everyone that posted on this post. I learned so much and hope to keep on learning about these fine machines. The knowlege that all of the red square members have and share is amazing. I feel confident that I can call this tractor a 401 with some left over parts from a 400. THANKS JEFF