Sign in to follow this  
W9JAB

REAL MEN DON

W9JAB

I was reading my Wheel Horse manual and found this.

transoil.jpg

Have I been using the wrong stuff? I been using 90 wt. gear lube

but should I been using 40 wt. motor oil?

rmaynard

I like the line that says "OIL is recommended".

Coadster32

:ychain: Guess I'm better off not reading.

pfrederi

40w motor oil was the recommended transmission fluid for many years in the 60s. Later the recommendation was changed to gear oil.

I can tell you from personal experience the use of 40w motor oil doesn't harm the tranny. My L-107 has used 40w since she was new. Probably only changed 2-3 times in the ensuing 43 years of continuous use.

She is used year round and she shifts a lot smoother and easier cold than her bigger cousins running 90 or 80-140.

Shuboxlover

Aren't they talking about the engine in the first paragraph.....then they go on talking about the transmission, no mention of oil type for the transmission. I guess I'm confused about your question?.....

W9JAB

reread the part starting with

"remove oil filler plug"

COMMANDO1

READ ON,,,, SAYS LEFT REAR SIDE OF TRANS. THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THE GEAR LUBE OR GEAR OIL.

W9JAB

READ ON,,,, SAYS LEFT REAR SIDE OF TRANS. THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THE GEAR LUBE OR GEAR OIL.

Yes that is the point of this post!

40 wt. motor oil V.S. gear lube

jimbotelho

hey guys it does say trans also either oil is sufficient by the way maybe just maybe the lighter oil is meant for cold weather places? like upper mid west or northeast?? :ychain: ? just my 3 cents

WheelHorse_of_course

You must have "read the tag" rather than the manual! :D

Here is the story, straight from the Wheel Horse's mouth:

Wheel Horse Service Bulletin #55

April 15, 1964

-To our dealers and distributors-

Subject Transmission Lubricant

The 1964 Tractor manuals specify that a good grade of S.A.E. #40 Gear Lubricant be used in transmissions. The red caution tag attached to each tractor specified S.A.E. #90. The use of either oil will not affect the warranty on 1964 model tractors; however WE RECOMMEND THAT S.A.E. #40 BE USED.

Extensive testing has proved that fewer gear locking conditions occur while using S.A.E. #40. Correct lubricant level is an important factor also.

S.A.E. #40 Engine Oil in lieu of S.A.E. #40 Gear Oil is approved.

Jack D. Walton

Service Manager

JDW: jr

:D :ychain:

W9JAB

S.A.E. #40 Engine Oil in lieu of S.A.E. #40 Gear Oil is approved.

O.K. so how dose the 90 wt. fit in? :ychain:

JimD

According to the service bulletin, SAE 40 engine or gear oil, or SAE 90 weight can be used with out voiding the warranty, but the recommendation i to use SAE 40 gear oil. So any of them can be used without a problem. :ychain:

Audioshot

I am up early today reading some posts on this board and thought that this is a fascinating thread. I have this giant engineering book on power transmission via chain and gear drives used in industrial applications. Near the end of the book there is a huge chapter devoted to lubrication. I'll post part of the overview.

Audioshot

The lubricant used for most chains and gear drives should have the following characteristics:

WheelHorse_of_course

Very interesting. And it makes sense that in automobile applications the temperature would be considerably higher and therefore higher weights would be required.

:D :ychain:

JUSS10

this is very interesting. i may just start running 40 wt in my tractors. especially being north it may be a good idea for plowing in the winter. and since i run 40 wt in my engines, i'll just start buying it in gallons...

Anglo Traction

Excellent Thread you started W9JAB!.

I've used an 80-90 wt EXP (extreme pressure) Gear Oil.

The Lube Chart from Toro (updated in around 1989) quotes recommendations for all models/years.

The other important point on lubrication is the Spec, which should be GL-5.

With Yellow metal bearings in the Transmissions, the Spec calls for No Sulphur content in the Oil.

My main concern has been to prevent Water/condensation ingress, while still allowing for air expansion and contraction within the Transmission Case....

I reckon I've found a solution, but just need to test it.

Audioshot

@Anglo Traction. You are correct. I had forgotten about the GL-5 spec. I remember looking for it when I changed the gear oil early this year.

Also, I lifted this quote from Wiki:

"API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, and they are thinner than the figures suggest. For example, many modern gearboxes use a 75W90 gear oil, which is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil."

I never knew this either.

Polaris2007

@Anglo Traction. You are correct. I had forgotten about the GL-5 spec. I remember looking for it when I changed the gear oil early this year.

Also, I lifted this quote from Wiki:

"API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, and they are thinner than the figures suggest. For example, many modern gearboxes use a 75W90 gear oil, which is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil."

I never knew this either.

Hmmm. Due to the fact that I have poured both 10w40 and 75W90 down the same small funnel on the same cold day, I can say with a very high level of certainty that those two oils are NOT of the same viscosity.

Audioshot

Hmmm. Due to the fact that I have poured both 10w40 and 75W90 down the same small funnel on the same cold day, I can say with a very high level of certainty that those two oils are NOT of the same viscosity.

Yeah, I had trouble with that wiki statement also, so last night I went to the garage to test it. The gear oil was like molasses compared to the motor oil. The only thing I was thinking was both oils were cold so the 10w40 was really flowing like a 10w. Maybe if I heat it up in a pan (and throw some bacon on it :ychain: ) to see if it thickens up to a 40. Ha.

SkyhawkTL

Great discussion!

For these types of gears, bearings, and under these loads I'm still a fan of 90wt gear oil. Some of the toughest wear on these components is at startup after sitting for a while. The thinner oil tends to drain off more completely and the metal to metal contact is greater for just a moment. But I do like the idea of 40wt during the winter. :ychain:

theoldwizard1

Some "general" comments.

Many automotive manual transmissions now use ATF instead of "gear lube". There are many different grades of ATF these days. Most are either semi or full synthetic.

A lot of the on going discussion really depends on what type of gears are being lubed. Straight cut gears have different contact pressure than bevel, helical or hypoid and different lubrication requirements.

I would think that a good quality semi or full synthetic 75W-90 would probably be the best compromise.