Sign in to follow this  
ftlboy717

wheel horse c160

ftlboy717

hey every one im looking into a c 160 for $100 its complete minus the motor it has v treds which are a little worn down but overall in good shape,also im going to look at a set of v treds for the front they are on rims and also calsium filled he wants $50 what do you guys think about these prices? :ychain:

Sparky

Is the tractor an 8 speed or auto. Very risky buying an auto with no motor as you have no way to check out the tranny. Beware of calcium filled tires as I hear it rots the rims.

Mike.............

Save Old Iron

I would not make the condition of the tires a make / break decision on the purchase of the tractor. There is sooooo much more to look at.

Personally, I love the $50 - $100 buys and always have had good luck with them. BUT I KNOW GOING IN THAT AT LEAST ANOTHER $500 WILL BE SPENT TO GET IT RUNNING RELIABLY. The last $50 Raider I picked up gave me 4 rims in great condition, 2 usable rears tires and all new belts.

The transmission was "locked up" but turned out to be the brake band was just rusted to the brake drum - no friction pad was present.

So look closely at what's there and have a plan B in your mind - if this doesn't pan out, How much could you sell the parts for?".

Calcium filled tires are always a crap shoot. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of a rim I had seen pit completely thru. You would think someone filled the rim with battery acid !!

As far as a project, figure at least another $400 to get it running and then add in as much as you can afford for paint and decals.

Or just go buy a running tractor for $400 - $500 if "learning" is less important than "having".

KC9KAS

As stated...calcium WILL rot the rims....even if there is a tube in the tire....always a small drip somewhere, usually at the valve stem.

Kelly

$100 if it's in good to fair shape, is going price around me, I like to offer less, most times I get them for less, with half worn ag tires I'd say for sure worth that much, they will bring close to or more than $50 as for the other ags even if tubed they will have rust on the rims being filled makes the tube sweat and will rot the rims, you didn't say what size front ags if they are 4.80x8's you can buy new for less, if 16.5x6.5x8's that is about new price keep that in mind, shop for prices first to see if they are a good deal.

rmaynard

Do you have an engine to put on it already? If not, plan on spending another $450 to $650 for a good rebuilt K341S.

Bob

Kelly

Or you can put any K series kohler that runs on it, and have a $300 tractor or more if it's nice and runs good.

ftlboy717

i just picked up the front ags they are on rims and have the axles i figure i can sell the axles for 20 and then it would come down to 30 for the rims and tires,also the c 160 is an auto,the tranny does work but is a bit slow in reverse could this maybe be the linkage needs adjustment? either way i am getting it and maybe another older wheel horse with a tech. motor and a mower deck the shifter is tight on it but i think it may have a little water in it and froze tight,i am makeing a deal on the pair aas long as we are in the same ball park on prices, i also was wondering if its possible to take the hydrolics of the 160 and maybe put them on my raider but not sure since they run off the tranny and my raider is a 3 speed,but my one buddy has a bunch of parts i was thinking maybe i could rig something up

Buzz

If the C-160 doesn't have an engine, how do you know the transmission works but is slow in reverse? :ychain: Does it have an engine now but the owner is going to keep it? Just curious.....

ftlboy717

the owner used this tractor for plowing last year befor he sold the engine

Buzz

the owner used this tractor for plowing last year befor he sold the engine

So basically you only have the owners word to go by.......... Even so, I would buy it for $100, you could part it out and get your money back if necessary. Good luck with it.