Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Front plow

KC9KAS

I have (2) 42" front plows, and both need new cutting edges.

They are 42" long, 1/4" thick, and I am not sure of the width.

If I make it 3", I should be able to go quite a long time before having to turn it over to use the other side.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks RS members!

Kelly

That is about the right size, new edges are on ebay about $35

KC9KAS

Kelly, are you saying the 3" is the correct height?

42" wide, 3" tall and 1/4" thick?

harleyjj

I made mine 4"x42" out of 1/4" plate works great and should last a long time! cost me fifteen bucks at the local steel shop

KC9KAS

Thanks harleyjj.....4" it is!

Hey....did you drill the mounting holes in the center of the 4" (2") so you can flip the cutting edge, or just eat up the cutting edge on one side?

harleyjj

I drilled the holes centered on it that way I can flip it when it wears down

wh79d160

I was told they are a hardned steel. Anyone know anything about that? Will the regular stuff work? I need 2 also. :ychain:

jimbotelho

Sure will!!! :ychain: although the hardened steel is better it just means you may not get the longevity out of it

MalMac

If you use soft steel it will wear alot quicker than you think, plus you will be taking a chance of bending it and putting undo stress on the blade. How do I know this I tried it and had the edge bend ever so slightly back under the blade and caused small fractures around the bolt holes in the blade. This is just what happened to me. I had made mine the same dimisions as OEM. Also if you don't use carriage bolts and use regular hex head bolts you will round off the bolt and one heck of a time trying to remove them. Like I said this is my experince. Some on here might have had a good experince making homemade ones out of soft steel.

TT

A strip of AR400 "wear plate" would be perfect.

It's pretty popular for lining chutes in the aggregate industry, etc.

Just don't go thinking the "el-cheapo" B&D drill bits from Wally-World will put a hole in it. :ychain:

Check with a local steel supply company or welding/fabrication shop or check out this website

A cooperative, well-equipped welding/fab shop might even be able to punch the square holes for the carriage bolts. If not, it can be machined for countersunk socket head "screws".

You'll just have to watch that you don't tie more money up in building a cutting edge than you'd have in buying a new OEM piece.

wh79d160

Talked to my neighbor. He said T1 is what I got. It's not the hardest, but will last a long time. It's = to grade 12 bolts or "cat bolts" I got a 7' x 4" x 1/4 this summer for my JD loader bucket (955) along w/end pieces. I think it was $40.00. I guess I'll go back & get two 42" x 3" x 1/4.

jimbotelho

tt is right on what I did was weld 2 pieces together making it a stronger bar I used blk cold rolled steel from homedepot and it will surely help rather than using a single piece of stock :ychain: :D

bigblue12v

I have a 42" edge barely used i'll sell ya cheap. This blade wasn't used much and I upgraded the blade to 60" with a whole new edge the full width. Make an offer its yours. Has square holes for the carriage bolts.

KC9KAS

bigblue12v...you have a PM.