Sign in to follow this  
520H4me

Hydraulic lift weak on 520H

520H4me

The hydraulic lift on my 520H is really weak to the point where it will not lift the snowblower attachment. The hydro pump must be ok as moves just fine. I really need to get this fixed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Shuboxlover

If it's a 2 stage, I would be MORE than happy to trade you my single stage for it....(It's alot lighter)

:ychain:

just joking, I don't know what you problem might be, but I will watch this thread with much interest....

good luck.

buckeye

sounds like the seals in your cylinder are shot. Or the lift valve is bleeding off.

Kelly

Are you letting the tractor warm up? My 520's will not lift a thing in the cold for about 5 min. if not that check the fluid level,and if you don't have a leak, it could be the control valve.

520H4me

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is a single stage (sorry Shuboxlover). I have checked the lift capacity after warm up - there is no difference. Is there supposed to be a "helper spring" to help lift the blower? I have seen this on the two stage thrower.

Horse Fanatic

If everything is working properly, you do not need a helper spring for the hydro lift on your 520.

520H4me

So which typically goes bad first - the control valve or the seals in the hydraulic cylinder? I guess I will start by replacing the one that typically goes bad first, then will curse at myself for picking the wrong one! :ychain:

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have got to get this horse fixed before we get another 20" plus snowfall. :D

520H4me

Anyone have any feedback for me on this one? If you have had experience with this issue (weak hydraulic lift) which would you replace first - the control valve or the cylinder?

Can either be rebuilt or do they need to be replaced? If I could get them rebuilt for a reasonable price I would get both done a the same time. I assume you need to bleed the system after replacing either so avoiding that would be a good thing...

kpinnc

Can either be rebuilt or do they need to be replaced?

Both the valve and cylinder can be rebuilt. I'm not 100% sure about the cylinder, but the valve O-rings are still available. The valve rebuild is simple, because you just need to change the O-rings. It'll be much more work getting the valve removed and reinstalled on the tractor than anything else.

I've never bought O-rings for the cylinder, but would imagine they are also available. If it were my tractor, I would rebuild the cylinder first. By it's location alone, it will be by far the easiest of the two to get to and rebuild- so long as the cylinder isn't one of the welded-together types. You may get lucky and not have to remove or rebuild the valve, which would make your repair much easier.

And no, you should not need to bleed the system. The first couple "cycles" of the cylinder after rebuild should get all the air out. May take a couple minutes, but that's all.

520H4me

I live in Minnesota. We have "Fleet Farm" where you can buy new hydraulic cylinders. They are all too big for the 520H though. Anyone know where I could buy a replacement cylinder? It does not have to be a Wheelhorse part as long as it fits.

520H4me

Just checked the "Tractor Supply" website. They have a bunch of cylinders of various sizes at reasonable prices. Does anyone happen to know the bore and stroke of the cylinder on the 520H? I am at work or I would check it myself.