Sign in to follow this  
Clarkbug

C-120 Doesnt Want to Go

Clarkbug

So I got a few hours to wrench on the C-120 today....

And still didnt get to check into the belt/clutch/transmission problem :banghead:

Instead I managed to break the threaded rod that actuates the brake band when I was taking off the nut. Turns out there is no lining in the band at all, and I wanted to see if I could still use the metal part. The good news is that I can. The bad news is that I dont know if there is enough thread left on that rod for me to be able to re-attach the band later. If its not one thing its another...

Plus it turns out I need to get a casting or two welded, as I keep finding things that are cracked/broken/not happy.

Ill post back here when I get a chance to sit in the seat again. Thanks for all the help so far!

can whlvr

sorry to hear that,dont worry once u get the bugs addressed she will be a good machine

Clarkbug

Thats OK. I have a bunch of old Farmalls, so I know what happens when you start messing with things...

I like the look of these old Horses. They are simple enough to figure out how they work, but built well (so it seems). You just cant find something new that measures up.

Kelly

Keep your chin up, sounds like you picked up one that had a hard life.

6wheeler

Clarkbug, sounds like you got your hands full. But, I can guarentee you will really like the tractor when you get the bugs out of her. I also have a 120 that came with "issues". I only have one thing left to fix. I need to adress the pto as the bearings are completely out and I might need to replace the whole thing because the races were destroyed and the damage is into the castings. But, it still drives very well. It may end up being relegated to garden duty and not mowing. But thats ok, because even though putting the deck on to mow and removing it every time I have to plow or disc the gardens is relatively easy, its a pain in the rear. Its just easier to have a couple of tractors. At least my wife buys that arguement. It works for me :hide::ROTF::banghead::thumbs: Pat

HorseFixer

Yep, dont get yer dobber down ClarkBug, The Ole C-120 is quite a machine and is capable of doing more than alot would think! :thumbs: Youll have it rollin in no time. :banghead:

Clarkbug

Thanks for all the encouragement fellows. Im not too down on it yet, since I know thats what happens when you buy "the deal" for a machine. I dont mind wrenching on things at all, I just would like to start fixing things instead of finding more problems :banghead:

Im sure that Ill need help getting my PTO back together and everything adjusted, since I now have Wheel Horse pieces strewn about my garage. Hopefully this weekend I can get some more stuff put back together, and take her for a spin.

I also spent some time looking through the photos on this site, and it turns out that the muffler that is on there is not even close to what is original, but is a custom special jobby that is VERY loud. Something else to replace I guess.....grrrrrr

Clarkbug

Just wanted to add an update to the story. I think I figured out the source of my "no-go" problem.

Since I had all the tin off the machine to clean it up (and fix all of the various issues I keep finding), I figured I would do the belt while I was in there, and just remove that variable. It turns out the old belt that was on there was about half of the width of the new Toro belt! I would imagine that would definitely account for its motivational problems. So now I am well on my way to getting it buttoned back up and mobile. I was hoping to plow some snow with it this year, and I still hope thats the case.