Sign in to follow this  
sail8870

Tranny oil? And tranny question.

sail8870

How often am I supposed to change the oil in the tranny? The guy I bought the tractor from said he never did it. It usually shifts fine, buts sometimes it won't shift into one gear, but will shift into the others. What does that mean? Is there anything serious wrong?

wh79d160

I go 50 on the engine oil & 100 on the tranny. But depending on what model you have, your manual my give intervals.

rmaynard

How often am I supposed to change the oil in the tranny? The guy I bought the tractor from said he never did it. It usually shifts fine, buts sometimes it won't shift into one gear, but will shift into the others. What does that mean? Is there anything serious wrong?

I am guilty of going years between changes. :ychain: The only thing that I check for is oil level, and water. My B-100 is only used in winter for snow removal, and summer of occasional hauling. I do not cut grass with this tractor. The limited uses does not mandate frequent oil change. How you use your tractor will determine the frequency of oil changes.

About your problem with not being able to get into gear sometimes. What tractor do you have, year and model?

btrrg1969

I would go by the oil level and the color of the oil as to weither I would change the oil , think about this is as well how often do we change the oil in our car rear ends and how long do they last ? As far as it not going in gear , my does that also , I let out on the clutch a little so that the gears line up and thats all it is to it :ychain:

stevasaurus

Think we need a little more information. What tractor...what gear...I am assuming you have a manual trans. Any doubt change the oil (90 wt), won't hurt, but before you change the oil...let's see what's up with that gear thingy. :ychain:

sail8870

its a C-141 8 speed manual. from 1979

stevasaurus

what is going on with the gear you are talking about??? And what gear is it??? does it happen when you are under load and it pops out or you really can't get it into that gear.??

:ychain:

From what I can tell, you have the 103916 transmission. I do not have any manuals on the newer trans. Maybe MikesRJ can help here.??

WheelHorse_of_course

Usually this means you need to let the clutch up and then down again, and she should shift into the desired gear.

On some models (like the 854) the manual actually mentions this.

I never had this happen on the 550, but on the 854 it did happen fairly often and the recommended procedure always worked.

:D :ychain:

sail8870

Ok, if it's in the manual, it must be a pretty harmless thing. I just didn't want it to be a problem that could be getting worse with time without any attention.

Kelly

I recommend changing the oil and putting a new shifter boot on it, no mater how the oil looks, this way you know, will the tractor be setting outside? or has it in the past? that is how most of them get water in them, oil and a boot are cheap and easy.

WheelHorse_of_course

I recommend changing the oil and putting a new shifter boot on it, no mater how the oil looks, this way you know, will the tractor be setting outside? or has it in the part? that is how most of them get water in them, oil and a boot are cheap and easy.

Excellent advice, particularly when acquiring a new tractor.

:D :ychain: