ftlboy717

raider 12 tranny

ftlboy717

i have a raider 12 and i was driving and it just stopped and i looked down and the axle was almost the whole way out of the trans! is there a c clip that holds the axle in ? any pics or advice would be great! i could use a tranny diagram im ready to split the case but need a pic of every thing inside, it is a 3 speed with hi and low range,thanks

stevasaurus

You have a #5073 trans...yes there is a "c" or "E" clip that probably let loose on the end of the axle. An easy fix if the groove is not worn...there is some threads here on the subject if you search. Here is a copy of the manual. Let us know what else we can help you with. A few pictures would be very helpful when you get into it..

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...1958_-_1982.pdf

There are a couple of threads with pics to help. :ychain:

dgjks6

been there, but thats another story.

Here is what you have to do

1 - remove trans from tractor - pretty straight foreward - take some pics. Then drain the fluid.

2 - I would recommend taking off the hubs. If you pull the axle out, which can be done, you counld ruin the spindle bearings. Take off the hubs, split the case, and go from there.

If you are lucky the clip popped off. For a new gasket and a new clip, and new fluid, the repair is less than $15.

If you need step by step instructions let me know. I think I have pics of the entire process. It is also covered in the link in the post above in the manual.

Anglo Traction

May be worth replacing the Seals as well .

ftlboy717

well i pullede the trans out,the clip just poped off so neasy fix im still buying two new clips but i need the spring-cylindrical ,thats what its called on my parts list,its almost like a rod bearing it looks like ,but any way its broke in two pieces. were do you guys recemend getting parts from i have the part number its, 7235 i also need the snap rings which i have here but they are a little thinner so i am going to get them from a dealer aswell the part #s for the snap rings are 7169,and i need two, i have pics of the whole job ill be posting asap!

ps, thanks to all who helped,those manuals were a life saver!

stevasaurus

Please post pictures before you buy...you may end up going to the Toro Dealer, but some members may have the parts you need for a lot less. If you are not in a huge hurry you could save a lot of dollars. :ychain:

ftlboy717

the part i need shouldnt be any more than a coulple bucks its just like a washer more than less, but does any one no of any web sites for older wheel horse tranny parts?

Kelly

Try your local Toro dealer they might have or can order what you need.

ftlboy717

hello, would any ony have some spare tranny parts laying around? i called five dealers and the part i need is discontinued,thanks

stevasaurus

Try this site for your part..

http://www.rcpw.com/search?quest=1533&search=Search

Guys...if anyone has a parts transmission...he is looking for the cylidrical spring that fits inside the differential ring on the limited slip 6 speed transmission. Part # 7235 :ychain:

ftlboy717

some one told me that the part i need is just to make the rear a posi? i dont no how this wold work but thats what i was told it does,i was also told i could just jb weld it but i no that wont work so i welded it back together the best i could so hopefully that works,also do you no exactly what the part does?,thanks kyle

TT

It was originally there to make the differential limited-slip, but 40-some years later, they don't work like they used to - which wasn't really that great in the first place.

As long as it's there to act as a "spacer" between the axle gears, the tranz will work fine. (it might not even need to be in there at all, but I never tried putting one together without the spring)

Make sure you use thread locker on the 5 bolts through the differential and don't over-torque them either.

ftlboy717

hey thanks,i welded the spring it nseems to be ok im in the process of putting it all back together now ill let you know how everything works out also here are some pics of the job! the only thing that was bad in the tranny was the gear oil looked like a milkshake! lol :ychain:

ftlboy717

IMG_1608.jpgIMG_1609.jpgIMG_1610.jpgIMG_1611.jpgIMG_1611-1.jpgIMG_1612-1.jpgIMG_1613-1.jpgIMG_1613.jpgIMG_1615.jpgIMG_1616.jpgIMG_1614.jpgIMG_1618.jpgIMG_1619.jpgIMG_1617.jpgIMG_1622.jpgIMG_1621.jpghere is the broken springIMG_1623.jpg

i welded it back together but no sure if it will work,i hope so,it just snowed and my horse is down!IMG_1631.jpgIMG_1630.jpg

ftlboy717

sorry for the pics that are on there twice dont no what happend there!

dgjks6

Nice job. I just rebuilt and entire transmission and I don't remember seeing a piece like that.

From where did it come? And what is it?

TT

It's a spring used in the 10 pinion differential on the early 6 speeds. (like 5060, 5071, 5073)

010810tranz179.jpg

It is supposed to apply enough pressure to the pinions to "lock" both axles together while traveling in a straight line - or getting stuck (while still allowing slippage for making turns) similar to a limited-slip automobile differential.

stevasaurus

Great pictures...thanks for posting...I went back through the manual I sent you and saw the part, but a picture really tells the story. :D I really think you will be OK with that fix...nice job. :D

Now that you know you have one of the "limited slip differentials"...check it out and let us know what you think. :ychain:

ftlboy717

i was told i didnt need the spring so i just removed it, im hopeing it will be ok. the spring was broken in two pieces for a long time but what happend was the clip on the axle caught it and it poped it off

diamondred

If the 7235 spring is not put back in, what keeps the axles from moving inward?