Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Fluid Weighted Tires

KC9KAS

I just filled my rear :ychain: tractor tires with windshield washer fluid.

I used a 3 gallon garden sprayer with the brass valve and nozzle removed from the hose. I used a hose clamp to hold the hose on the tire air valve (with valve core removed), and pumped away! I needed to purge the air from the tire about every gallon, but all I had to do was un-screw the top of the garden sprayer.

I paid $59.40 for a 55 gallon drum from an oil distributor. Another distributor wanted $109.00 for a drum. Both companies were offering a 33% solution for a -20 degree F freeze point. If it gets that cold, me and the :D will stay inside!

I had figured (mathamatically) that each tire should hold close to 11 gallons, but I don't think I got much more that 10 in them. I know what the weight was before the fluid, and I will weigh them later after the fluid to see what I have. At 8.34 pounds per gallon, each tire/wheel should weigh in at around 110 pounds.

Rollerman

Just be carefull you don't get a leak next season doing yard work.

Takes a while for those brown stripes to turn green again. :ychain:

Trouty56

Good idea though!! :ychain:

Indy w h

Takes a while for those brown stripes to turn green again. :D

I've never known windshield washer fluid to kill grass?? :ychain:

hmm could be cheaper than round-up :D

Indy

Kelly

The good stuff kills grass, around here you can still get the cheap stuff for $1 a gallon, I think it's good to -20 and for filling that is a good idea, I've never filled my tires, I've allways used weights, but I have a few sets of tires here that are filled and the rims are junk from it.

KC9KAS

I would rather have weights, but I don't have any!

Can't find any around here....even at an un-reasonable price!

The fluid was the next best thing.

Coadster32

Fluid worked well in my Charger12. They were about 80lbs a peice. The only drawback was that when it sat for a little while, you'll actually get flat-spotted. To counter-act that, I just put a floor jack under the tranny and took some of the weight off of it.

HorseFixer

I too have a couple tractors with foo barred rims due to calcium chloride filled tires <_< Its a lOw down dirty shame! :ychain:

Rollerman

Takes a while for those brown stripes to turn green again. :ychain:

I filled the tires on my fathers 310 a few years back with cheapo washer fluid.

He got into something mowing & put a pin hole in one tire.

It went down slow or he wasn't aware of his tire going down.

Anyways it brown striped his yard & took several cuts before the green came back.

I don't fluid fill anymore, guess I always am on the lookout for cast weights.

Classified adds, junk tractors, auctions, word of mouth is the best way to find them cheap.

I also have two sets of tires poly filled tires.

It's kinda expensive, but never leaks & adds a lot of weight!

It also doesn't make the tire solid or hard....rides pretty much just like they do with air in them.

Cody

I have filled several tires with windsheild washer fluid, works great and adds alot of weight. Instead of the garden sprayer i pull the tire off the tractor, lay it down so that the valve stem is at the top, break the bead on that side and pour the fluid right in until its almost overflowing then throw a rag over the rim (so fluid doesnt get you in the face) and add air. The bead seals almost instantly :ychain:

pfrederi

I have filled several tires with windsheild washer fluid, works great and adds alot of weight. Instead of the garden sprayer i pull the tire off the tractor, lay it down so that the valve stem is at the top, break the bead on that side and pour the fluid right in until its almost overflowing then throw a rag over the rim (so fluid doesnt get you in the face) and add air. The bead seals almost instantly :ychain:

I used the bead break method also on my D200. Filled it with Beet Juice (rim guard). Shouldn't kill the grass. I paid $2.60 per gallon.

AMC RULES

It also doesn't make the tire solid or hard....rides pretty much just like they do with air in them.

:D Poly fill, what's that all about? Solid or liquid filling? DIY or send 'em out? Never heard of it? :ychain:

Rollerman

:D Poly fill, what's that all about? Solid or liquid filling? DIY or send 'em out? Never heard of it? :D

Craig....first love your avatar pic. :ychain:

Here are some threads on the "polyfill" or "foamfill".

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...topic=15868&hl=

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...topic=16524&hl=

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...topic=16962&hl=

Our member Audioshot knows about the process & has been very informative.

Again this stuff isn't cheap, but you'll never get a flat, puncture & lose liquid or air, cut a valve stem & lose air or liquid.

You don't have to worry about thorn tree's, nails, or screws.

The tires IMOP ride just like they had air in them.

They are not solid....the tires I have filled will bounce just like an air filled tire!

The tires will still deflect over objects like rocks, etc, etc....

The foam fill is permanent inside the tire, but the rim can be reused once your grandkids wear the tire out & reused.

Price is comparable to a new set of cast iron wheel weights.

I bought a used set of tires that were filled...thats how I learned about foam.

Later found out more about it & had some ags for the back of my Lawn Ranger done.

Very happy with the end product & would recomend it to anyone looking to "weight" the tires on a GT.

KC9KAS

"I have filled several tires with windsheild washer fluid, works great and adds alot of weight. Instead of the garden sprayer i pull the tire off the tractor, lay it down so that the valve stem is at the top, break the bead on that side and pour the fluid right in until its almost overflowing then throw a rag over the rim (so fluid doesnt get you in the face) and add air. The bead seals almost instantly"

This is what I done on the 2nd set of tires. Worked ok, but worked my butt off breaking the bead.....NOW one of the tires won't seal properly!

Indy w h

I've never had a problem with fluid leaking. But I use the special tubes for fluid.

Never had a rim rot out yet

Indy

AMC RULES

Here are some threads on the "polyfill" or "foamfill".

Thanks for the links Steve, lots of good info there. Price for the poly sure isn't for the timid, huh? I wonder if it varies depending on the season, or not? Still though, seems like the tire becomes pretty much indestructible for life. :ychain:

Audioshot

Yeah, the stuff is intended for the life of your tire. Trust me, if mixed and injected correctly it will not fail you. But it's not a big deal to cut the tires off when the time comes. Some municipal towns are even filling the tires on their dedicated sander and plow trucks. 24" tires filled with poly can be run up to 50 mph. I thought of filling the ones on my 310-8 but part of my back yard is a tad swampy. I know the extra weight will leave ruts and tear things up a tad. I'll have to check the prices when I get back in the office tomorrow. It used to be $1.70/lb and I know the rears on my machine takes around 70 lbs.