Sign in to follow this  
jasoncracer

417a

jasoncracer

going to look at a 417 a in the morning with a series 2 motor i was told what is the going price for these machines its not running but very close to it mint shape one dent on rear fender any advice what to look for on these machines?

mr.pipes

It's nice to get the hydo up to temp and see how that feels. Try it uphill or see if it will spin the tires with the front end up against the owners car door. Do you know why it is not running. Can be a gamble if you dont know the person.

mr.pipes

Would you share your info on the going price?

Kelly

I sold one not running in good shape for $300 with deck.

HorseFixer

I sold one not running in good shape for $300 with deck.

Yep, it is in real good shape! and picked up an Engine for it this past summer!

jasoncracer

points are bad thanks guys against the owners door haha :ychain:

mr.pipes

The 17 horse Kohlers are not the best engine as they are non pressure lubricated! :D Just keep plenty of oil in them! :ychain:

~Duke

Do you recall how much you put in after an oil change?

T-Mo

Keep in mind that there are two series of KT17s. The 417 were made after the KT17 Series II came out. The Series II did not have the problems that were associated with the Series I engines. And the problem with the Series I was that if the operator operated the tractor on slopes the engine would literally starved itself of oil. Kohler corrected this problem, somewhat, with the Series II engines. I wouldn't be scare of a Series II KT17.

HorseFixer
The 17 horse Kohlers are not the best engine as they are non pressure lubricated!

bowtieguy

The 417-A is my favorite hydro Wheel Horse tractor....so much that I bought two of them....think you will find that the series II engine caries a high oil pressure.

Both of mine had less than 600 hrs on the engine and the price was about 500 bucks at time of purchase about 5 years ago.

The only issue that I had was with the idoit lights....but think that was a problem on several models...