Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

Serial #? Model #? What is it

chesbaycruiser

Wonder if someone could share a little of their expertise.

I am trying to record all the numbers of my '75 B-80, and I need a little help deciphering one of the ID tags. The tags on the Kohler are both in good shape, but the metal ID tag under the the tractor seat is pretty rough. There are two numbers stamped on the tag.

The top number looks to be "5 0721 3". (The "3" might also be an 8 or 9).

The bottom number is 55472.

I would think they were Model # and Serial #, but to the best of my knowledge, the Model # for a 1975 B-80 is 1-0141, which doesn't match either number. I considered it might be an ID Tag for the transmission (is there such a thing?), but again, as far as I know, the tranny model # should be 5084, so that doesn't seem to fit either.

My question is this: Am I correct that this is the Tractor ID (as opposed to the transmission)? And assuming that one of the numbers is the serial number, which one is it (top or bottom), and what is the other number? :ychain:

Thanks in advance for your help,

Confused (and Snowless :D ) in Virginia

rmaynard

Here is the B-80 model number for a '75 according to Toro:

1-0141, B-80 4-Speed Tractor, 1975

Don't know about those other numbers other than one should be a serial number and one a date of manufacture code.

Bob

Dresden Guy

The number "5-0721" is an ID for a 1973 and/or 1974 36" Side dischaqrge mower deck.

The next number would probably be the Parts List code numer, and the "55472" would likely be the serial number for the deck.

That deck does fit a 1974 B-80 (1-0140 / 4-speed) according to the Interchangability Chart. You need a drive belt #102607.

I own a B-80 (#1-0140) with a (#5-0621 36" Rear discharge mower deck).

Hope this helps.

Steve

C-Series14

I have never seen a metal ID tag under the seat. On those models, it is usually on the hoodstand on the left forward side. Not sure when they moved them up to the flat panel under the steering wheel. Possibly, a former owner found the tag and put it there...

Just an idea...

chesbaycruiser

Thanks Steve, good info.

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm assuming that the tractors didn't come with an ID tag for the deck, and that at some point during the ensuing decades, someone attached the deck tag to the tractor?

It's interesting because the tractor came to me with a 36" rear discharge deck, which I thought was the original. I guess the 42" deck was switched out sometime during the 30+ years before it came to me. I know when it underwent it's restoration, the 36" deck was already with it.

Ah, the mysteries time weaves.... :ychain:

Thanks again,

Chris