Sign in to follow this  
Aussie

Look what followed me home!

Aussie

I picked up another Wheel Horse last week, a 312-A. It is a 1987 with the Kohler M12. I wasn't looking for another one, yet, honest, having only picked up my 520 three weeks ago which emptied out the tractor fund.

A friend of mine was wandering around a local machinery dealer's yard when he came across it looking rather folorn amongst some junk near the back of the lot. He rang and said he thought there was "one of those tractors you like" so the next day I went to have a look. The best thing was it is really near my home, not a thousand mile round trip like the two previous ones I got from the outskirts of Melbourne, Victoria.

The tractor was straight and complete, with the usual faded paint and surface rust due to flaking paint, but looked reasonably tidy. I hadn't been dressed up for sale at all. There were no accessories apart from a pair of WH plastic rear wheel weights and the PTO clutch is missing except for the plate.

There wasn't anyone around so I left my details and the boss rang me later in the day. His asking price was less than I had decided I was prepared to pay, so I told him I would take it subject to hearing it run and drive.

I went back the next day and the mechanic got it going. He had to put some fuel in and the battery was dead flat, but it fired right up with no hesitation. No smoke, no trans noises, drove well so on the trailer it went.

This is the first Wheel Horse horizontal shaft tractor I have ever seen for sale in my state, apart from a new 520 in a showroom over 15 years ago. Like my 416-8, it is also the only one I have seen anywhere in Australia of this model, most of what came here appears to be the 520's.

When I got it home I put the battery on charge overnight and it appears to be holding at 12.8v, so may be ok. I haven't had any previous experience with Kohler's at all but the motor starts first kick every time (so far) and sounds strong.

The only problem so far is the throttle drops during operation so I will have to tighten it up a bit.

A couple of questions;

Will it drive a 42" rear discharge deck ok?

Where can I get an operator's manual and and engine manual. Model is 21 - 12KE03. I got the Eaton 700 manual from the Toro site, but the operator manual isn't downloadable.

I would like to use this tractor for mowing and just gradually tidy things up over time and as needed. I will give it a full service and change of fluids to start. I would like to change the hydro fluid as it looks a bit off colour, according to the Eaton manual it appears the trans has to be removed to do so, is that correct?

And the important part, the pictures;

ir82km.jpg

35c4nqh.jpg

2aalgmt.jpg

Kelly

Nice find, I like finding them that you don't have to drive forever to pick up, On the trans thing I'm pretty sure you don't have to pull it, but I think they are a pain to refill, I've not done one, but I remember storys about it.

sorekiwi

Good looking machine!

The Kohler is a great, long lasting engine, and you will probably find it less finicky than your Onans (and use 1/2 the gas!).

It'll drive the 42" deck just fine. Looks as though the Yahoo manuals group do not have the owners manual or partslists, but they do have some of the Service Bulletins there. MikesRJ's site has one for the 86 8 speed so that may get you started.

www.mywheelhorse.com

IDriveWheelHorse

got yourself a nice machine there. Good strong Kohler 12 horse. Regardless of what some may say, the body is in good condition. A little here and there and you got yourself a new machine!

I'd be willing to bet my 416-8 is the same era.. probably an 87. Mine is all Wheel Horse logos like yours.

Rollerman

I used to have a 312A just like that....hard to beleive it made it way all the way down there. :ychain:

All kiding aside they are very nice machines & can pull a 42" deck fine.

Just don't expect the same grunt out of the Eaton 700 series hydro as your 520H's Eaton 1100.

You can change the oil in the trans just like your 416-8 speed.

The Eaton 700 is a stand alone unit isn't siamesed onto the trans case like the Eaton 1100 in your 520H that shares the same oil.

You can change the fluid in hydro unit.

It doesn't hold much & there is no good way to drain it without makeing a mess while it's on the tractor.

By the way nice looking tractor & really like the looks of your truck/trailer too.

Duff

Kym, I'd have to say that was a really good "rescue" considering you found it "looking rather folorn amongst some junk". As many of the folks here will attest, we've all seen tractors in a lot worse condition pulled out of weeds, woods, back lots, junk yards, barns, sheds and what-have-you. That machine looks nice and straight and from the pictures appears to only need some cosmetics. I think you made a great score!

Duff :ychain: :D

gwest_ca

Kym,

See if this will work for you. Go back to

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

and use 31-18OE01 for a model number and the word none for a serial number. This operator manual covers 1988 models that use the same 700-015 Eaton transmission but an Onan engine.

Use model number 31-12KE01 and the word none for a serial number for an operator manual that uses the same Kohler M12S-471527 engine but a different Eaton transmission.

Garry

btrrg1969

nice tractor :ychain:

jerrb

Nice tractor Love the trailer

stevasaurus

Excellent score...and I have to echo about that trailer...very cool. :ychain:

Horse Fanatic

Nice find! Congratulations!

JimD

Nice solid looking machine! You'll get many years of service from her, I'm sure. :ychain:

Aussie

Thanks for the replies and leads, I found the manuals thanks gwest and sorekiwi. To clarify, my problem is how do I drain the Eaton unit, not the transaxle as that part is straightforward. I am wondering if I can get the bulk of the fluid out by sucking it from the top through the filler?

Thanks for the comments on the trailer, I built it myself a few years ago, it comes in handy for shifting "stuff". I will have to build a larger one though, with a flat deck like you guys use to fit the 60" mower on board.

Here's another shot of the trailer

2dume1g.jpg

regards

Kym

HorseFixer

KYM, Nice Score Mate! :ychain:

oldnugly

Kym. G'day mate! That's a nice looking tractor. It was good of you to rescue it :D Looks like you're building a nice collection of :ychain: 's.

I wonder how common they are in Oz? Friends of ours live in the western 'burbs of Melbourne and are moving to a country place farther out where they'll have a lot more land. If they are 'findable' maybe I should recommend one to Geoff.?

Operator

See how they muliply when you start with "just one" :ychain:

Nice place you have there with containers for bldgs. :D

But you're in Austrailia , firewood? :hide: The land of blondes and bikini's :D

Wondering?

Randy

Aussie

It still gets cold in winter Randy, not freezing though.

oldnugly - the Wheel Horses aren't common by any means, but they do turn up from time to time. There seem to be quite a few around Melbourne, mostly vertical shafts though.

SAM58

:ychain: Cool.... :D