Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Do I split it or just change the fluid

dgjks6

So I drained the transmission and this is what I got:

DSCF6130.jpg

Can I just put new fluid in and go about my business or should I remove it, open it, and clean it?

And I only have 80/90 fluid - is that OK to use?

Oh, and as an aside, just like all of my projects go, I was trying to do 2 things at once. I was taping the engine running trying to get engine help and the tractor rolled forward a little. I was not thinking, and when I got done this is what I found:

DSCF6133.jpg

Oh, well - gives the garage floor character

And I have to be done by 4pm - wife will be back from work and I need to hide the tractor again.

Duff

I know you can't get it all done by 4, but if you dump some kerosene or diesel fuel into that tranny and roll it around a bit it should help flush out the rest of the gunk inside. Then I'd refill it with 2 quarts of the 80/90 and run it for a bit. If the tranny is quiet and holds in all gears, then just drain it completely one more time, refill it and you should be good to go.

Those bangs in the engine video sound like something loose under the tractor. I don't think they're from inside the engine....but I'm no expert!

~Duff

dgjks6

Got no kerosene or diesel. Anything else I can use?

jasoncracer

i agree with the diesel if not me this is my way obviously no one elses i put thiner oil in the rear ride it around for a bit let it got hot/warm then drain it again and put the proper 80/90 weight in :ychain: good luck on it

dgjks6

went and got the diesel. Put in 2 quarts.

Do I just push it around in neutral or drive it?

rmaynard

Drive it in all gears. It won't hurt it. You have enough old oil in there to lubricate the bearings. Don't be afraid to do it multiple times. The clearer the drained fluid looks, the more water you have removed.

stevasaurus

Drive it...maybe 20 minutes...different gears...then change...do it twice if it still comes out much the same...then go to 80/90...drive through the winter, but change in the spring and look at it real good. I agree with Duff on this, and the way yours looks, you may be OK. My position on this is...for a $5.00 gasket and a little labor...you can manually clean out the trans and if you have a bad bearing, replace it...if you have some rust in there...there is no guarantee that the rust will get out of the bearings by driving around that trans. with diesel or kerosene. If you are planning on keeping the tractor, the right way is the only way. Replacing bearings can cost up to $300, getting a replacement is no guarantee that trans is OK. Not getting the rust out and taking a chance can cost more then you may want to bargain.

Give it some thought. If you are just cleaning out the trans and no bearings are bad, it can be done in one day, definitely on a weekend. Do you really think that kerosene will clean this out and you will be OK???

702transmission004.jpg

dgjks6

And yet another half finsished project. I got the diesel in but can't solve the motor issue. And I think that is going to get expensive.

Anyway, wife is on way home so put tools away and hid tractor.

So how lang can diesel fuel stay in the transmission?

rmaynard

Should not hurt anything to leave it in until next time you work on it. Put a pan under the tranny as you may get some seepage through the seals.

stevasaurus

The plus was getting the water out when you did. I think, if your seals are good, you won't get seepage no matter how thin the fluid you are putting in. May actually soften the rubber and reseal. First things first...get it running...then think about the information here and go from there. The fuel being left in there is not going to hurt anything. :ychain:

You may want to bite the bullet and tell the wife you are working on her new tractor. :D