Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

War against Winter!

sgtsampay

Hi all. In this year's war against winter, I started out with a force of 3 snowblowers:

1. 211-5 (with a 18HP briggs twin rebuilt) with a rebuilt and modded 36in snowblower

2. 2009 10Hp Briggs Toro 28in walkbehind

3. 1993 Rebuilt 4.5 Suzuki Toro power clear walk behind

Yesterday we had out first snowfall and it was a 8incher. The snow was a little wetter than "snowball" snow. I starter out with the tractor and after three hours, 2gallons of gas later I got all of the snowblowing i wanted done. During the battle, the tractor's clutch kept coming loose, the right cylinder of the engine was luke warm after all of that (The left was nice and hot), and I was able to stall and really bog down the engine. Shouldn't happen with 18HP on a 36in blower! i also heard loud vavle chatter at about 2,500rpm coming fro mthe right cyclinder. It also sounds bad when you crank it over with the starter. I think the right cylinder is the one with a bad valve or mabye not adjusted right???

I then broke something on the little Toro power clear as it now not keeping tension on the belt when the augers are engadged..

The large tor walk behind survived the battle with no breakdowns and performed well.

Overall I got a victory on this storm but suffered heavy losses and winter wants to battle again this weekend. So I really don't know what I will do for quick repairs on the tractor, but I need to come up with something. I'm thinking about putting the old but nice running 11Hp briggs back on the tractor and using that until I get the 18Hp engine figured out. Will the 11Hp be enough power for a while?

ron2681

That sounds like a pretty cool little tractor! Ive got a 14hp Kohler sitting around

and ive been thinking about a swap onto my 211-5. In my opinion I think that 11hp

Briggs should be enough, I have a 30 in. tiller on my 211-5 and it does a great job,

from what ive been told its the transmission we should be worried about.

wheel horse 1045

hang in there soldier cause winter war is hell :ychain:

sgtsampay

Ron, your right about the trannies. The good thing is that the 85-86 models had the heavlier built versions than the later 87+ series. Thats why they can be used with a tiller. Good to know that the 11HP should be enough, or at least for a while. My ultimate goal is to make it through this winter then next winter will have my rebuilt Raider with all of the mods I want for it, a nice new powerfull 16HP engine and then a customer built/modded 2 stage snowblower.

For this winter, I want to make it with my 211-5 and the snowblower I made to work with it.

If i was you, I would put that 14HP Kohler on it. It would be a cool upgrade. LOL.

Wheel Horse: Thanks for the motovation. LOL. I don't plan on giving up..

stevasaurus

8" of very wet snow is a lot to ask any blower to handle for that long period of a time., a blade may be a better option and easier on the equipment...and then clean up with the blower.

With temps in the teens and low 20s...this weekend should be a dryer snow...that is when the blowers are fun. :D

It does feel good when you win a good battle with winter and want that Rock-N-Rye rather then having to have it. :ychain:

sgtsampay

I use a snowblower for a small snow removal operation that i perform around my neightborhood. In the past I would use walk behinds and my truck to go around to perform these tasks around the city. This year i was able to get all clients within a 1/2 mile radius and then go from there..

I know it was hard on the machine, but isn't that what 18HP supposed to do?