Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

My poor Gt14.........

Save Old Iron

I can understand how you could "kick start" the tractor with power to the A terminal.

What I don't get is in the OFF position G + A + M means the A terminal (now 12 volts) will be connected to the G and M terminals. So if either of those two terminals get grounded - instant battery to ground short !

Is this the old plastic dash of the GT14 preventing the grounding of the ignition switch case? Otherwise, I would think instant fireworks if the 12 volts were connected to the A terminal.

AS far as the battery shorting out against the chassis and melting wires - I don't believe a short of JUST the battery (+) to ground will fry the wiring.

Open the hood of your car, tilt the battery so the (+) terminal hits the frame - big fireworks and a nifty spot weld but no melted wires. The battery current will take the easiest path to ground and that will not be through any wires in the vehicle.

If you take a wrench to the starter and to touch the (+) starter terminal to ground - absolutely - fried battery cable but not the whole wiring harness.

Something else happened where a live wire in the harness touched ground too. Maybe the wire to the (+) terminal of the coil hit ground. That would destroy the whole (apparently unfused or over fused) wiring harness.

:thumbs: we need a spark or shock smilie

hounddoghundzsa

:D :D:wh::D Switch is in, wires are correct and the tractor is RUNNING!!!!!!!!!! :D:wh::D

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Three final questions:

What are the correct points settings?

What is the factory suggested carb setting?

Does anyone have a good pic of a nice 3 pt?? Brrly, maybe you can help me with this one? :thumbs:

Horse-Drawn

SOI... You'd be amazed how many mag ign switches I've pulled out of coil systems! :thumbs:

I don't know where that logic was taught as the correct way, but like TT said,"you have to know it's there - or you just have to be lucky." ..."Lucky" is not my strongest asset.

Save Old Iron

Way to go Scott, I was hoping that switch would get you back up and working. I know it was unused and in the package but I wish I had checked it out prior to sending it to you. That would have made sure another little devil didn't creep into the mix.

Two things I always like to teach are gaining as much understanding as possible about the system you are working on and

perseverance

to celebrate your victory, here is a little entertainment from "Nature's A Students"

never give up !!

Brrly1

Scott, I am just now fnishing up for the day. I will take some pictures for you and I also need to take some for Sean of my loader.It's been a long day again and I will take care of that probably early afternoon. Sorry I got on so late. Talk to you guys soon. :thumbs:

:wh:

Brrly1

:D Chuck, I have to agree with that. Also, Patience is a virtue. I have finally got my GT16 with the front end loader now up and running. I actually wired it myself dilly dallied around a few days then I went out finished running the fuel line and said I need some fuel went and got that, low and behold it now runs,charges and actually is functional. I guess I got spoiled by having Carl or Steve around to give me a hand with what ever I needed. I think they got tired and decided to always be busy. Of course I got tired of waiting and ventured out on my own. It works, which I think is great. :thumbs:

:wh:

Save Old Iron

Chuck, I have to agree with that. Also, Patience is a virtue.

John,

you are right on the money with patience too.

I don't know when all this instant gratification stuff crept into our society, but many of the young folks I work with - lord almighty - if what they attempt to do doesn't work the first time with absolute minimal effort applied...

"its too hard"

"it's junk"

"go get a new one"

I try not to think too hard about what we will be like 20 years from now.

Save Old Iron

And we will finish this one up with a diagram on proper wiring of the ignition switch for a a coil based ignition system.

Enjoy

coilbasedignitionwiringv3.jpg

hounddoghundzsa

I may be a little slower than most at getting my tractors running, but I would much rather have something that will last more than a couple years that isn't made out of tin and plastic! I wish people still took pride in homegrown USA made stuff, The things that were built to last.

Thanks, John no huge rush - I got enough other projects to resort to if I have to put this one on hold for a bit.

hounddoghundzsa

Way to go Scott, I was hoping that switch would get you back up and working. I know it was unused and in the package but I wish I had checked it out prior to sending it to you. That would have made sure another little devil didn't creep into the mix.

Two things I always like to teach are gaining as much understanding as possible about the system you are working on and

perseverance

to celebrate your victory, here is a little entertainment from "Nature's A Students"

never give up !!

Great video! - I used to sit on my old front porch and watch the squirrels for hours. We don't have as many here at my new place.

I can't thank you enough for helping me out with the ignition - If I can ever return the favor, don't hesitate to let me know!

Save Old Iron

You are welcome.

What do you believe the main issue was (outside the wrong style switch being used)?