Sign in to follow this  
kirby

kohler k181 question

kirby

I took the deck off of my 1973 8hp 4 speed, removed the mule drive and installed a plow. my question is should the pulley thats on the right side of the engine (pto clutch) spin when the pto is disengaged. This might be a dumb question but just for my peace of mind. thanks kirby

JimD

It shouldn't spin if the brake is adjusted properly, but it won't hurt anything if it does. :thumbs:

kirby

not trying to sound dumb but what can i adjust to get it right. or is there something i might have done when i removed the belt from the pully.

Duff

I can't speak with knowledge to your tractor, but the later 300's, 400's and maybe the C-series used a little "L"-shaped tab with a piece of friction material that engages the pulley when the PTO is disengaged. I'm at work so I can't run out to my shop to give a better decription. Maybe someone else will jump in here?

Like Jim said, it won't hurt anything if it does spin. And there's nothing dumb at all about your question!

~Duff :thumbs:

Kelly

I don't think your 73 tractor has the brake that is a later item.

WH nut

The 73 model does not have the brake. If you want it to not turn, you can pull the pin on the rod at the PTO lever nd loosent it up one turnm. It can still vibrate over but giving the PTO a little more clearence will help

JimD

Yep, Kelly and wh nut are right. I looked at some pics of 73 model tractors and not one of them had the pto brake. Nice catch Kelly! :ychain: