Sign in to follow this  
puddlejumper

fuel

puddlejumper

Starting from the beginning so this may take awhile....

701 Brought home changed points put on starter gen fired right up. Slight flooding problem.Tinkered with other things on it,wiring,hy2,trans, etc..Fire it up occasionaly and let run,Let run 30-45 min. setting on blocks with diesel in trans to wash it out.Gradually the flooding problem has gotten serious floods instantly gas pours out carb and exhaust while cranking. went today got carb kit put in new seat and valve no help took valve and seat and float out of a running engine no help. Played battleship with floats in a tub of water there fine. Can hold up on float while cranking valve seals.

Question. Old cam driven fuel pump with hand pump. Is it or should it be pressure sensitve ( Maybe a internal bypass or pressure switch to keep it from producing to much pressure) I have messed with the carb untill I am ready to chuck it even though I am basically convinced its not the problem(and it does have a different style Idle speed adjustment original to the tractor that my other 161 doesnt have)

The fuel pump appears to be serviceable but I decided to walk away from it tonight due to aggravation and to let my head clear.

Any suggestions before I tackle it tomorrow will be appreciated.

sorekiwi

I had this happen a few months back, and it was a pinhole in the float. But you've checked that.

Is there anyway that the float can be catching on something when the bowl is on to prevent it from coming up and closing the valve?

Damned if I cant remember what the symptons were now, but I once had a problem with the vent on the bowl being plugged up- I'm fairly sure that somehow it caused a flooding problem but cant remember the details. :thumbs: Maybe I'll remember in the middle of the night.

JUSS10

i have this issue with my 603 and to be honest i havent figure out what it is either. i just parked it and havent touched it on over a month or so. sometimes it was fine, other times it would sputter and die and fuel would be pouring out the intake. i rebuilt the carb and thought maybe the float was sticking (or getting stopped) on the bowl gasket where it isnt cut out all the way (hard to explain without a picture) i never verified but i to am leaning towards a sticking float...

Save Old Iron

look down he throat of the carb near the "size stamp" numbers - near the stamping will be an atmospheric vent hole. if the vent hole becomes plugged - you will see this issue

Kelly

I had this issue on my 1075 I soaked the carb in dip carb cleaner for 2 days and put a Kohler kit in it, and all is good, I had another that the float had a pin hole, I use gas to soak the float in I think it gets places that water will not, I set something heavy on it wait, then turn it over and wait, but most of the time if it is a leaking float you can pull it and shake it to see if there is gas in it.

Rollerman

I'd agree with Chuck (SOI).

Are you sure there is no dirt in the needle & seat or a bur thats keeping it from closeing up?

WheelHorse_of_course

arghhh!!!!! :thumbs: How frustrating!! And you've done a good logical troubleshooting job too.

I don't see how it can be anything but the carb - it should be able to seal off the full pressure of the fuel pump.

I assume you set the float adjustment where you flip the carb over and check the gap.

I agree with others that the float has to be sticking, or that vent hole is plugged. Probably the latter, given the degree to which you have checked things out.

Best of luck... you'll figure it out.

:wh: :)

WheelHorse_of_course

PS

Is that why they call you puddle jumper? Always jumping over pools of gas ? :thumbs:

puddlejumper

Guys I appreciate all the suggestions and will check them all. But this fuel pump is unreal it will squirt a full stream 3 to 4 feet everytime the engine turns over I understand high volume doesnt necessarily mean high pressure, But man it will empty a gas tank in a hurry. And very slight upward pressure on the float by hand will shut it down but neither float seem to have enough buoyancy to counteract the pressure of the pump. And they both pass all the float test.

As far as the name puddlejumper I helped the company I work for build my first bridge between my junior and senior year of high school (age 16) graduated high school spent 4 yrs for uncle sam came back and over the past 20 or so years have built in the neiborhood of 45 more for them around this little county I live in. And done countless repairs. I do the layout,drive the piling,do the concrete work, excavating,And occasionally set the precast decks if there small enough our old (1964) hc108 linkbelt crane will handle them. Well me and whatever kid they can find to help me. For the first 10 yrs it was just me and dad that built them but he cant anymore so I am stuck with whoever they can find. You would be suprised how many people cant hook a chain or understand the simple physics of a lever to move something. Anyhow puddlejumper or bridge troll whichever you prefer :thumbs: .

puddlejumper

OK, guys just to let you know I was listening :) After reading your post and typing my life story I went straight to the store and bought some chem-dip (I know, should have done that first hard head). Any how took carb off and sure enough Chuck the vent was clogged :). How I missed a clogged port ray charles could have found :wh: I dont know preoccupied with float I guess :thumbs: Anyhow bought chem-dip and using it will let soak till tomorrow evening and reassemble but I believe its fixed.

P.S. chuck I looked at 4 model n carbs I have and the vent was in the top near the front of the carb not back at the stampings and opposite the float valve under the carb.

sorekiwi

Glad you found the problem.

The Chem-dip is good stuff and will last a while. I need to replace my can sometime soon, but I've probably had it 5 years now. I should replace it before the EPA outlaws it, or replaces it with something that works half as well.

I'm thinking my vent was on the top too. Maybe Chuck was thinking about the little progression holes around the throttle plate? (Which are also prone to blockage).

Save Old Iron

How I missed a clogged port ray charles could have found :thumbs:

P.S. chuck I looked at 4 model n carbs I have and the vent was in the top near the front of the carb not back at the stampings and opposite the float valve under the carb.

Well maybe we could both put our sunglasses on and sing a karaoke duet of " Get on the Right Track Baby"

My only defense is that I was working off dusty memory locations in the brain. I pulled that one out of an old creaky drawer in the mental file cabinet. As I remember, I left an air cleaner off for a few months one summer on a rebuild and found an insect nest / mud nest built in that area.

KB9LOR

If it not the port PJ, then the float is out of adjustment, I know On my Onan it was doing the very same thing(PO put a electric pump on it), adjusted the float and BAM it was fixed, well sorrta had to adjust carb a tad, but runs real good now.

puddlejumper

:thumbs: Thanks again everybody,It is purring again :)