Sign in to follow this  
LeonardS

RJ58/59 Hood

LeonardS

I am looking at an RJ58 or 59 to purchase but the hood on it is a replacement 62+ hood that is rusted out. Is there a used parts vendor that would have a correct hood or where would I look for one?

I want to get an idea of what the correct hood will cost before making an offer on the tractor. No reason to spend too much for the tractor if the hood is worth more than the whole tractor.

Leonard

VinsRJ

A nice RJ hood is hard to come by. Not only is the passage of time hard on them, but the tank straps tend to pull the hood down or cause tearing. So, you need to really examine one before purchasing. With that said the next issue finding a usable hood is where to look for one. There is no one vender you can go to..... from time to time a hood will pop up on evilbay, check Craigslist for another blown out RJ and/or post a wanted had here or on other tractor forums. Prices can run from $30-$40 to over a $100 depending on condition.

IMO a RJ missing its RJ hood or if its destroyed is a tuff animal to sell and/or restore.

:thumbs:

JimD

A nice RJ hood is hard to come by. Not only is the passage of time hard on them, but the tank straps tend to pull the hood down or cause tearing. So, you need to really examine one before purchasing. With that said the next issue finding a usable hood is where to look for one. There is no one vender you can go to..... from time to time a hood will pop up on evilbay, check Craigslist for another blown out RJ and/or post a wanted had here or on other tractor forums. Prices can run from $30-$40 to over a $100 depending on condition.

IMO a RJ missing its RJ hood or if its destroyed is a tuff animal to sell and/or restore.

:)

Vin, don't you have one in stock? :thumbs: :wh:

LeonardS

:thumbs:

The other option would be to buy it and part it out. Then use the money to buy a complete RJ?

Leonard

LeonardS

Here is a photo of the beast. Yes, I know....wrong engine, wrong hood, wrong foot pads.

RJ5859.jpg

LeonardS
RJ58592.jpg

puddlejumper

Huff (on ebay) not sure what his handle is here(anybody know) had a rough rj for sale on ebay a few weeks ago that I dont think sold. Might see about that one. And you might advertise for one here in the wanted section. You never know.

Kelly

That hood is fixable, yes it is not the right one, but far from junk, the round plug in the back of the hood is a hard item to get for a 61 tractor also.

CasualObserver

Ummm.... actually that hood is correct. It's the service replacement hood for RJs and Suburbans. :thumbs: Far more rare than a regular RJ hood.

smokin joe

If you dont like that hood Ill trade you a good stock one for it :thumbs:

LeonardS

Ummm.... actually that hood is correct. It's the service replacement hood for RJs and Suburbans. :thumbs: Far more rare than a regular RJ hood.

Good to know. Thanks Jason!

So, if nothing else, it would be good trading material!!

Leonard

LeonardS

If you dont like that hood Ill trade you a good stock one for it :thumbs:

I will keep that in mind if I can make a deal on it.

Leonard

VinsRJ

:)

Vin, don't you have one in stock? :thumbs::)

I have one but its already spoken for.

LeonardS: Over all thats not a bad looking RJ. I sold one of those replacement hoods and got good money for it on evil-bay. If you can trade it for a nice original RJ hood, IMO, you did well. :wh:

grnlark

If it was me, I'd keep that hood on it. It's cool looking, is rare and it's actually era correct and RJ correct as a replacement from the manufacturer. I would restore it as is.

hoppy

that can be patched and smoothed out to look new again. if you dont do body work take it to someone who can. someone can do good body work can take care of that.

puddlejumper

Is that recognised as a service hood due to the 61 suburban dash and grill slits in the front. :thumbs: And I cannot tell for sure if it has a hole for choke cable on left in picture :)

wallfish

That's too bad the drip in the roof had to be right over that hood.

How does one tell the difference between the WH replacement hood and the 61 hood?

smokin joe

How does one tell the difference between the WH replacement hood and the 61 hood?

The slatted grill is the differance.

VinsRJ

The slatted grill is the differance.

And tank straps for the front mount fuel tank.