Sign in to follow this  
strausbo

Kirk's Pointsaver

Buckshot 1

:) I have one on my K321 for two yrs. Never a bit of a problem, engine starts easier. timing is dead on. I have dealt with David Kirk a few times, very honest and upstanding guy. I am getting ready to purchase another one for a K301 that I am refreshing. The points saver sure makes the timing a heck of a lot easier.

JoeMonag

how does the point saver make setting thre timeing easy? Ihave a K341 on a 416-8, and setting the timing vai the point gap is abit of a task for me. Joe

Wyattrrp

JoeMonag

The Pointsaver has a red LED on it. That LED lights up at the exact moment the points break or start to open, firing the spark plug. So timing is not just setting the points to 0.020. Instead you start with that setting to get it in the ballpark, then look through the flywheel shroud sight hole and see if the "S" mark on the flywheel is centered in the hole. Rotate the flywheel a little until the S is centered, then adjust the points slightly until the LED just lights up.

The LED gives you an easy visual to tell you when the points just break. After the point saver is installed to check timing, just turn the key on and rotate the flywheel until the LED just lights up, then look to see if the S is centered in the view hole.

The points will also never arc again, which over time causes them to pit, since the pointsaver changes the points into a low power switch to trigger the circuitry in the device (thus the name Pointsaver). Points should be good forever and the coil power collapses faster making the spark stronger too. Easy installtion.

Wyatt

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Wyatt, that was very well explained, and informative. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Wyattrrp

Thanks Matt,

I miss spoke a bit above. When you set the points at 0.020 you then must rotate the flywheel not a little, but until the "S" is centered in the sight hole. It is left of the gear teeth on the flywheelo. Since you are rotating from points open at 0.020 until they are JUST opening, it is more than a little. Check out these 2 links where Kirk Pointsaver is sold and another where an explanation of setting static timing is explained very well. Both are from other posts on this Forum.

www.kirkengines.com

http://mgonitzke.net16.net/

then click HOWTO for static points setting with multimetter. Identical to Pointsaver but using a resistance meter. He has PDF files with photos. Kirk has instruction PDFs so you feel comfortable with the installation. It really is simple andstraight forward.

Gotta love the knowledge shared on this site !! Thanks Guys !

Wyatt

Wyattrrp

BTW the sight hole (1/2 inch diam) is looking from the front on the right side, near the left side of the tin shroud covering the flywheel, sort of behind the vertical muffler. Look with a flashlight and the "S" is imprinted on the flywheel let of the flywheel gear teeth. Mark with a white or yellow color pencil or as other suggest on here, use a paint pencil to high light the imprinted S.