Sign in to follow this  
tarcoleo

Using Bondo Fiberglass For

tarcoleo

Has anyone repaired steel mower decks with fiberglass patches of any sort?

I'm thinking of repairs resulting from corrosion in areas where the structural

integrity of the unit is not an issue. In other words, just to close holes. If so,

what are the products or procedures that would do the job, please.

Tom in RI :thumbs:

Forest Road

Probably not a good idea. I wouldn't suggest walking through that lawn barefoot.

wallfish

I haven't done it but I have decks that are repaired with fiberglass patches that seem to have held up pretty good. Welding in patches of steel would be better but small fiberglass patches shouldn't be a problem. Most auto parts stores and Home Depot carry the material. A can of resin with the hardener and some fiberglass cloth. Follow the instuctions on the can.

mavfreak

I would think that it would hold ok. Works on cars and they probably have more vibration going down a bumpy road than a mower deck. Might not be as permanent as metal welded in but should last for some time if done properly

WheelHorse_of_course

Fiberglass makes sense to me.

I would stay away from bondo. In my experience bondo is an open invitation to rust.

Just MHO.

:) :thumbs:

Kelly

Remember this is just a band aid, not a real fix

tarcoleo

Thanks everybody. My question centers on a 48" deck picked up a few days

ago with some rust holes on left side. Structurally the unit appears sound,

though the PO had used some body filler to cover over grief. I will attempt to

fit steel patches, 10 gauge, over the bad areas as a mosaic, and have the patches welded together. The assembly will then be mechanically attached to the underlying

original structure with well placed nuts and bolts. Not welding myself, this approach will be a straightforward job for a weld shop. Comments?

Tom in RI

mavfreak

Chas have you used that?

wallfish

Thanks everybody. My question centers on a 48" deck picked up a few days

ago with some rust holes on left side. Structurally the unit appears sound,

though the PO had used some body filler to cover over grief. I will attempt to

fit steel patches, 10 gauge, over the bad areas as a mosaic, and have the patches welded together. The assembly will then be mechanically attached to the underlying

original structure with well placed nuts and bolts. Not welding myself, this approach will be a straightforward job for a weld shop. Comments?

Tom in RI

Instead of having the patches welded together and then bolting them on, why not just have them welded on to the deck. If you can make the patches and grind the areas on the deck clean, then it should be a quick job for a welder.

WH854

I have used the POR 15 paint on the underside of a deck I re-did good stuff :thumbs:

Chas :)

AMC RULES

I would think POR-15 would be the perfect solution to deck repairs. Their two part expoxy is the next best thing to welding, if you don't have the skills or machine handy. I've used it for many automotive restorations/repairs, works suprisingly great for dash underlayment repairs too, which is always a hard fix. I usually make a metal patch panel and sandwich it into place with POR-15. Dries hard as a rock, very easy to manipulate into place. :thumbs: Of course, welding would be the best choice.

Picture1288.jpg

Picture1290.jpg

mavfreak

cool something to keep in mind for when I need to do some body work.