Sign in to follow this  
camaross

how easy to rebuild a carb?

camaross

i've got a 4hp techumseh on a snowblower that the fuel just runs right out of the carb.

years ago i think it got sme water in the gas line , froze and quit running and its been sitting around until i could get to it ever since.

a new carb runs about 60 bucks , but a rebuild kit is around 15. the only experience i have with carbs would be with a holley double pumper , nothing this small. Are they easy to rebuild? Any special tools required?

bmuone

Hello camaross...if you rebuilt a holley I think you can do the techumseh easy enough. I never had any rebuild experience and I rebuilt carbs for a 17hp kohler and a 11 hp briggs and stratton. And they are both still running. No special tools that I know of. Just have a clean working area to lay the little parts on and don't sneeze.

Anglo Traction

Hi Camaross,

I rebuilt one on an H60 a few months back for someone. A few fiddly bits like Float Valve seat removal and renewal, a few Welch Plugs. A few tweaks on Running Settings and it's fine. Grab a Manual, it's all in there and nothing to give you a problem if, as you say, you done a couple of Big Suckers. Kits are plentiful on your side of the Pond.

Regards.

wallfish

Should be easy enough once you see the parts. It also sounds like your float is stuck allowing fuel to continuously flow. The rebuild kit will include the new valve and seat but you will want to check the float. After you remove the float, shake it to see if there is any liquid inside of it. If so, it will need to be replaced.

camaross

ok seems fairly simple ,

i just removed and tore down the carb - doesn't seem bad at all

bad part is there is a ton of corrosion and even some rust. hopefully a good cleaning will be good enough ?

MikesRJ

Take a look at these as well. They may come in handy.

Techumseh Service Manual:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...vice-Manual.pdf

Kohler Carburetor Rebuild:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...etorRebuild.pdf

Kohler Throttle Shaft Bushing:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...shingRepair.pdf

camaross

thanks mikesrj those illustrations will help.

wallfish , looks like you were right about the float valve - the cylinder and the valve were all rusty, it must have stuck open.

after a chem dip theres still a bit of rust up in the cylinder , so ill probably dip again and try and scrape some of it off , and wait for the kit to come in

camaross

well its back together , just need a carb to intake gasket and some gas ....

camaross

ok time for results.....it started right up , and after a couple adjustments was idling fine.

for some reason before i started i thought these smaller carbs were much more intricate. the only problem i have is the throttle linkage , i'm pretty sure i've lost a piece , but at least its running again

thanks all for the help !