Sign in to follow this  
MikeD0371

need of much help

MikeD0371

got the tractor, knew that the lady ran low on oil, picked up new rod an rings, an head gasket today, installed, piston was ok, valves were ok??? guys im stuck, installed new parts thinking thats it, nope, engine sounds good when cranking, but the buger wont start, i mean mess with choke and throtle an it tries, mess with it enough an it might kinda run but with bad back fires. spark seems good, went through cleaning quick, my thought is compression but how?? vlaves? piston?........did compression i know its not reliable but had low like 35, my 310-8 almost identical motor had 50 even. also i can turn the 310-8 by hand an feel more compression than the b100. where did i go wrong, an what other parts do i need, thanks again guys

W9JAB

:thumbs: sounds like timing? :)

hoppy

timing or carb issue if its backfiring and sputtering.

rmaynard

Did you have the crank pin mic'd? Did you install the rings correctly? Was the crankshaft removed? How do you know the piston was okay?

Just need to know how deeply you disassembled the engine.

Did you rebuild the carburetor? Did you replace the condenser or the points?

Give us a few more details please.

Bob

AMC RULES

Backfired which way? Through the carb or exhaust? Probably just timing, no sweat, bet you're almost there.

buckeye

I'm with Bob on this one, also did you pull the cam? set the valve clearance? did you realign the cam and crank? if you know how to work on these engines, you probabaly can find a simple mistake you made during reassembly. it happens to all of us. Any more info you can give us?

MikeD0371

Hey guys thanks for the fast replys, did not take the crank or cam out just changed rod an rings how could timing be off with just changing the rod? Will take carb off 310-8 tomarrow to check that one cause that motor runs. Was thinkin maybe valves what kind of issues would I have with bad valves. As far as coil an points, different coil same points good spark, how bad would bad valves mess up compression? Let me know thank you

MikeD0371

Motor is backfiring from exhauat, when it runs, takes time to get it going, an by going I mean choke an throttle playing, will not idle will not run wide open just sputters for about 5 sec

Shuboxlover

Sticking exhaust valve????

TT

Did you happen to inspect the ACR mechanism? Perhaps something is keeping the tab from retracting.

You should also check valve clearances. If there's excessive clearance at either valve, it usually means that one is "hanging" open.

MikeD0371

as far as the ACT or decompression, i see the exhaust valve lift slightly on the strokes, does that turn off at a certain rpm? as far as valves stickin, dont think so, took cover off, when the valves are in the rest position i can turn the lifters with my finger. another shot in the dark, i have no condenser!!!!(can take from other motor) what problems would that cause other than breaker points???

Anglo Traction

ACR checks out of use at 600rpm approx. It is possible something wedged in between the Valve Seat and Valve Face while doing the Rings.

rmaynard

I have no condenser!!!!(can take from other motor) what problems would that cause other than breaker points???

The condenser is an integral part of the ignition system. If the condenser malfunctions, the engine will not run.

Timing can be affected by the adjustment of the points.

Bob