Sign in to follow this  
jimrvz

new deck spindles for 37 SD

jimrvz

Hi, I have a 1983 B115 Automatic with the 37 inch SD deck. 3 times this past Summer the bolt holding the high lift side blade on has broken. After mowing with this for close to 30 years I am wondering if the spindles might need rebuild? and thus causing a lot of vibration and breaking the bolt? I checked into just replacing the spindle bearings and is quite expensive and hard to find parts. I was wondering if anyone had ever bought universal type spindle assemblies and matching blades and put them on wheelhorse decks? I have found this and if I could find blades in the correct length it would seem much cheaper.

11037.jpg

TT

:thumbs:

The first problem you'll encounter will be the installed depth on the non-OEM spindle assembly.

You'll need to make sure the blade doesn't end up sticking down below the bottom of the shell - or that it's not too far up inside the shell to allow a low-enough height of cut.

You'll also need the spindle pulleys to line up with the jackshaft pulley so the belt will stay on the mower.

Pulley size would also need to be considered since the OEM parts are matched to the size of the PTO pulley to attain the correct blade tip speed.

Honestly, I think you should just post an ad in the "Wanted" forum. There should be quite a few people on here with parts decks - even for the lawn tractors - that might have complete spindle assemblies that you can just bolt on & go.

Last, but not least: Make sure the blades are balanced.

jimrvz

Thanks TT, took your advice, will see what I can come up with.