Sign in to follow this  
Redbirdman

Restoration vs RUSToration

Redbirdman

I have had my RJ for almost a 1/4 of a century after buying it out of someones driveway. It starts everytime first pull and I have been riding it around almost as a scooter around our airport. Sometimes I use it to inspect the taxiways and runway making a round trip of nearly 4 miles; other times, in cooler weather I'll run it out into the desert to go shooting or hunting never worrying about it pooping out. I do carry a 2-way radio, a gallon of water, a 45 and a cell phone though. But I never once thought about 'restoring' it or entering it in a show. I love her dearly just like she is!

BTW I was told iron equipment can be referred to as 'female' unless they work for a living............then they should be referred to as 'male'!

Now don't get me wrong! I am not replacing her with a younger model Let's just say I have another slightly younger lady in the stable that's willing to take on some of the load. (I ain't losing no weight here boyz) so I finally plinked my 1961 Model 701 together. It is NOT a restoration. She is a salvation that just seems to want to get out and run!

Here are a few photos......Wheelhrtside25percent.jpg

wheelh001jpg15percent.jpg

wheelh01825percent.jpg

wheelh01620percent.jpg

Don't worry, the 'ol girl (RJ) will still go on evening runs with me when it's a little cooler. :) (She has this habit of liking to burn my right leg on hot days)....

They are both fed a liquid diet of 100LL Avgas and the best Shell Aviation oil money can buy! And both are getting a spoofing up with Vinylguys decals pretty soon.

But neither one are 'restorations', rustorations maybe.....and good friends for sure, Just like they are... :thumbs:

ED C.

AMC RULES

Ooh, wee that's pretty. :thumbs:

rmaynard

Great story Ed. She's still a good lookin' old gal. Just put a little lipstick on her and keep her running the taxiways. :thumbs:

Bob

horsefeathers

Very fine example of a 701 Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like you have a good time with your horses!

You got yer own airport too? Cool!!!

:thumbs: Keep them horses flyin' low!!!

:) HORSEFEATHERS!

dclarke

Nice 701 Ed. :thumbs: can you post some pics of your rj? oh yeah, that's a nice lookin plane ya got too!

Coadster32

Taking care of a girl who's taking care of you. Great story, and she looks good from here. :thumbs:

wheel857

nice but lets see the other one to :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Nice looking 701 :wh: Ed I knew you were a pilot when you started doing a Pre flight errrrr I mean Pre Start ck on the 701! :) I am in the middle of restoring a 701 myself whats that in the hanger :thumbs: a Tomahawk? I owned a Piper 180 full IFR for 5 years back in the mid 80's one of the most memorable moments I had was when I took my wife for a flight and when we go up in the 180 I asked her how she liked it? Fine she said why? I said because its yours!!! :) I haven't flown in awhile but if I ever get down that way yer welcome to try and make me barf :) Watched yer movie is that a Stearman? Iv'e got a little stick time in one of those too!

Cheers ~Duke

KC9KAS

Very nice looking :thumbs: !

I also liked the ride in the bi-plane! Weeeeeeeeeeee!

stevasaurus

What a couple of great videos...thanks for the ride. :)

Did a little skydiving in my younger days, always wanted to jump out of one of those 2 wingers. :thumbs:

Olratlr

Really is pretty ED. :thumbs: