Sign in to follow this  
IDriveWheelHorse

Now the owner of two Wheel Horse's

IDriveWheelHorse

Hey guys! Pictures coming ASAP!

Three weeks ago I put an ad on Craigslist stating I was looking for a Wheel Horse C series or 300/400 Series tractor. I had a few calls, then had a call from Kelly.

Well about two weeks ago I finally broke down and bought a 1984 Wheel Horse C-145 Automatic from Kelly, granted it had a broken rod, he hooked me up with a decent K301 12HP that needed/needs some minor carb work to run properly and a hydro drive pulley to move (can't wait for the day I get one and it moves for the first time).

The body on this C-145 is darn near amazing for an 84. Very clean and only one spot of rust. Grip tape and foot boards still look like new. Amp meter had a ton of water/moisture inside and last week I took that apart and dried it out and cleaned it up (looks like new now). The tractor had a plastic rear fender that was in great condition, however I opted for a steel fender pan for its durability and In my opinion better looking characteristics.

I spent three nights trying to get this thing to run correctly, but it was like someone shut the ignition off just below half throttle. Have to choke intermittently to start and most of the time I just end up blowing my ear drums out due to backfiring a couple times. Well needless to say I found out to my surprise I was trying to use a 30 carb on a 12 horse... whoops. Not going to happen. So I rebuilt the 26 and put a rebuild kit on it and it runs nice and smooth now. Still needs choke to start even after warm but its the nocturnal Kohler so it's expected.

That leads me to the 6" Diameter drive pulley, as soon as I get one of those and see it move I know I will be ear to ear. I also picked up a Snow Blade from Kelly and a 36" deck. Deck looks great and has newer spindles/bearings, and the plow needs paint.

Well one just wasn't enough I guess... and apparently even at 21 years old with a lot of bills, house payments, car payments... I don't know what else to spend my hard earned money on :wh:. I forgot to delete my wanted ad off of craigslist naturally and ended up getting a call from a guy down near Sturgis, MI. He said he had a 416-8 with a 42 inch deck for sale that ran great, looks decent, and comes with a snow blower that has never been used. Well I thought "Well, guess I better go look."

Went down there yesterday morning and had a look... First thing that caught my eye was the engine. Onan 16 :thumbs: . Body looks good for being a late 80's. (I assume it's late 80s judging by there being absolutely no Toro logos, all :) logos, even on the air input on the side of the engine) There is some surface rust here and there and it needs headlights, but overall not bad. Started on the first click of the key with no smoke. Glanced at the hour meter.. only 600 Hours! Ok, thats nothing to get excited about, but for the price I paid... UNREAL. I asked if he had knowledge of Wheel Horse and he said he doesn't know much at all about them.

I handed the guy the cash and come home with it last night.

Describing just doesn't do justice on these two machines. The 416-8 had the deck attached and has ABSOLUTELY no rust on it, looks like new and spins like new. The snow blower needs some paint, but still there is NO rust on that either. As a matter of fact, the snowblower has never been used and is proven by no dings or scratches on the auger and old grey greese still on the end of the spindle.

WHEN IS ENOUGH, ENOUGH??

I originally just wanted one like my Grandfather had during my growing up years. My grandfather was like a father to me, taught me everything I know. (He has since passed in 2009 from cancer). He had a 1983 C-175 Auto that as of 2009 still had a factory shine on it, 0 rust, and a KT17 strong enough to pull a house off its foundation. He traded it in and recieved 200 bucks towards a new Husqvarna (HUNK OF JUNK) and passed 2 monthes after.

I just wanted one similar to his that I could shine up eventually, but in the mean time.. use this winter to push a little snow and to look at. So I got the C-145 Auto. And now a 416-8... haha What would good ole grandpa say today? I can hear it already "Harry, God d***it, whats wrong with that little :) 8-25 that you have?"

I don't even know what I'd say besides that I wanted one like yours, grandpa.

So that's where I'll end it. Look at my profile within the next couple days for Pictures of the three of them. :)

1996 Toro/WH 8-25

1984 Wheel Horse C-145 Auto

198? Wheel Horse 416-8 Onan

racinfool40

sounds like a good score and I know what you mean!!!also took the trip to Kelly's and came home with more than expected :wh: .But with so many horse's and parts galore you have to!!!And for Grandpa he's smilin and probably sittin on one now have FUN!!!! :thumbs: :)

IDriveWheelHorse

sounds like a good score and I know what you mean!!!also took the trip to Kelly's and came home with more than expected :wh: .But with so many horse's and parts galore you have to!!!And for Grandpa he's smilin and probably sittin on one now have FUN!!!! :thumbs::)

Yeah you got it! My immediate reaction when I bought the 416-8 was oh man, I can't have two in this one car garage! But now I have better plans.. I can use the ready 416-8 for this winter and spend my time restoring the C-145. Though, they both hold a pretty good value, especially the 416 with 600 hours on it.

600 hours is relatively low... Isn't it?

Duff

Congratulations on a pair of very nice horses!

Duff :thumbs: :)

Redbirdman

What would good ole grandpa say today? I can hear it already "Harry, God d***it, whats wrong with that little 8-25 that you have?"

:)

I can't imagine anything that bridges the 'male' generation gap better than old guns, old airplanes and of course, old tractors! :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Congradulations! And welcome to our addition! :) See that 2 Stage Tall Chute Snow Blower in my Avitar? That came from Kelly also! No doubt if you need something Kelly can hook you up! :thumbs:

~Duke

wheelhorse656

sweet :thumbs: