Sign in to follow this  
cavmedic

B80 engine swap

cavmedic

I tried searching for this , but nothing was coming up at all.

I am thinking about upgrading the 8hp on the B80 to something bigger. A guy in the next town over , has just about every WH Kohler on a shelf , so I have a few good options to pick from at reasonable prices.

I would assume that when I step up to a bigger motor , the bolt patterns would be off , due to a bigger physical size. Any suggestions to what the max size that would fit under the hood and or is there a specific size that may bolt right in ?

I am aware of possible shaft size differences , but they ( pullies, clutch etc ) could also be matched up from where I get the motor from.

I just think I may need a it more punch to keep my blower spinning to toss some snow.

There's tons of ideas here, you just have to spend some time and poke around. "Don1977" did a smart B&S Vanguard v-twin swap that has stood the test of time and looks awesome. There are others. A 13 hp electric start Harbor Freight engine is another option that has been tried on even the smaller frame tractors - and they look good (and even better if you paint them red) and are inexpensive.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...topic=10366&hl=

I know a lot of people that would love to keep the k181. Tuned right, that is one of the sweetest mills around. I love the sound of the little 8hp kohlers. If it were me, and that engine wasn't worn out, I wouldn't change a thing.

rmaynard

What year is the B-80? If it is a 1976 or 1977, I would find a K241S, K301S or K341S from the same year's. Not only will they bolt right up to the frame, but no modifications would be necessary to the belt guard or PTO, etc.

cavmedic

What year is the B-80? If it is a 1976 or 1977, I would find a K241S, K301S or K341S from the same year's. Not only will they bolt right up to the frame, but no modifications would be necessary to the belt guard or PTO, etc.

It is a 76 per my data plate look up . I am worried that it wont have enough snot to pounce through a good snow like we had last year in PA.. I have a few back surgeries (and some laziness) under my belt with tons of plates , screws and even an artificial disc. So the less shoveling the better.

Once I recoup from the excessive spending I did this week ( tractor , plow , and blower all within 3 days of each other) Ill check with the local WH guy and see of he can match the models and years up ...

rmaynard

I don't know about a snowblower, but I pushed a lot of snow with my B-100 (10HP) and a 48" snow plow. There was no power problem.

Bob

HankB

My first WH was a Charger V8. It came with a 42" blade and never lacked horsepower to push snow. It did occasionally lack traction even with tire chains. Given a choice I would go with the smaller blade, but if I already had the 48" blade I'm sure I'd have a go with that.

-hank

Tee

I tried searching for this , but nothing was coming up at all.

I am thinking about upgrading the 8hp on the B80 to something bigger. A guy in the next town over , has just about every WH Kohler on a shelf , so I have a few good options to pick from at reasonable prices.

I would assume that when I step up to a bigger motor , the bolt patterns would be off , due to a bigger physical size. Any suggestions to what the max size that would fit under the hood and or is there a specific size that may bolt right in ?

I am aware of possible shaft size differences , but they ( pullies, clutch etc ) could also be matched up from where I get the motor from.

I just think I may need a it more punch to keep my blower spinning to toss some snow.

i wished now i would have just bought another engine for my b80 8 hp kohler. i`ll have about 600.00 in the rebuild all kohler parts and machine work. i`ll assemble it myself :thumbs:

HankB

i wished now i would have just bought another engine for my b80 8 hp kohler. i`ll have about 600.00 in the rebuild all kohler parts and machine work. i`ll assemble it myself :thumbs:

And when you're done, you'll know exactly what is in it. Buy a used engine and to some extent, it's a pig in a poke. Maybe it will have lots of hours left. Maybe it was owned by someone who conserved oil if you catch my drift.

Were I dealing with my main machine, I would probably be inclined to spend the $$$ on a rebuild. If it was part of a collection that would not see regular duty, I would consider a used engine.

sorekiwi

1974 B-80 4 Speed with a K341 from a C-160.

PICT0017.jpg

Bolts straight in, and drives the blower just fine. :thumbs:

Tee
i wished now i would have just bought another engine for my b80 8 hp kohler. i`ll have about 600.00 in the rebuild all kohler parts and machine work. i`ll assemble it myself

cavmedic
i wished now i would have just bought another engine for my b80 8 hp kohler. i`ll have about 600.00 in the rebuild all kohler parts and machine work. i`ll assemble it myself