Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

Opinions on these tractors

littleredrider

Got gears going in my head again bout building another tractor, found these on local craigslist. The greenish one is all complete, the other one is missing some parts as shown in the pic. Owner doesn't really know much about them, thinks they have Kohler 7 horses on them.

No linking to Craig's List or ebay ads. No exceptions.

Kelly

I'd say around here not a bad deal, mainly for the HY kit if complete, I'd ask if they will take less, say $275 never know you might own them for that.

littleredrider

I asked him about the price, he said he is pretty firm. He is a collector of all tractors, but not WH, but wants the complete one to "complete" his collection, so he doesn't really have to sell them.

Also will only sell them as a pair. I don't really need two, but since the one is complete and appears to be original, could be a nice piece. He said that he might sell the incomplete one, he really only wants the rear tires off of it. I have to call him next weekend, he wants to look at them again.

That hydro could be nice lifting the snow blower...

TT

The one with hydraulic lift looks to be Briggs-powered.

littleredrider

I was trying to figure out what it was, but pic isn't close enough. Not really worried bout that, I have a k181 sitting in the garage, but thinking about putting in a 10 horse diesel in it. Bell's 502 diesel has really gotten to me!!!!!

littleredrider

Gonna go pick them up this weekend. :thumbs:

littleredrider

Picked them up yesterday. Wish it was a lot closer, probly wouldn't have gotten them. The tin on both of them is pretty much shot, luckily the rear fenders on both look to be OK, but won't know till I start tearing them apart.

The mower is trashed, rot holes everywhere. The toolbox on both are rusted thru, as the plate covering the front of the tranny.

The one with the mower has a seized up tranny, the other seems OK.

What is wierd, they are both 62's, but have different front axles. One matches my 63 ranger, while the other matches my 67s.

The one that has the hydro's is little better, at least the pump turns. Lever moves, dunno bout the cylinder yet, it's in the closed position, so hopefully that saved it some. Need to make a mount that bolts it to the axle, it's missing a piece.

After looking at these, think I'm gonna make one out of to, and make my 63 into a "1303" taking the front axle/spindles off for the bigger tires, as the rear fenders and get some 23" Ag's for it.

Think I made a mistake getting these....... :thumbs:

Sparky

Gotta watch sellers as they tell all the good points and leave out the bad. "Engine turns by hand" is a great one cause when ya get there you can spin it real easy by hand CAUSE THE ROD IS BUSTED.

OOps, he forgot to mention that :thumbs: .

Mike.......

Kelly

If they have diff. front axles, sounds like one is a 62 and the other 63/64 post pictures, of the left side and front we can help with the years, there are many ways to tell the years, now models that can be a bit harder, and how bad is the tin?? tool box/ fender mounts are not real hard to find, hoods we have to work with them they are not easy or cheap to get in good shape, did you get them cheaper?? the HY kit is worth money, I bought a 702 and picked it up this weekend I'm glad I didn't pay anymore for it, I only saw pictures, and paid $125 it is ruff pretty complete but ruff, trans has water in it and right now it will not roll, that maybe like yours, get it warm and drain the trans, fill it with motor oil, just to oil things and help clean it while rolling it around.

TT

Think I made a mistake getting these....... :thumbs:

You need to practice up on the "turn around and walk away" technique.

Wheel Horse or not, some of them need to be left behind.

littleredrider

The ID tag says they are both 62s. I was gonna grab the other numbers, but was rather friggin cold yesteday, wind blowing like crazy didn't help either.

The tractor that has the mower has the Kohler 7 horse, that turns but has compression. The other has a Briggs I think, don't care about that cause it's coming off anyways.

It wasn't cold enough long enough for any water to freeze in the tranny, but has been sitting under a pine tree for who know how long. So probly it's full of water and rusted up solid. Not too worried about that either, the other one seems to be OK, and I have the 8 speed that is in my 67 ranger, I can swap that out if needed.

What's killing me is the tractors are at my mom's house, I live just down the road, the wife is nagging me to do something, she was stuck at home for the past four days, all I want to do is get working on these!!!!!!

I should have walked away, but after driving almost 2 hours to get them, didn't want to leave empty handed and stand out in the cold for nothing. There is still a lot I can do with, so not a complete waste. BUT, IMO definitely not worth the $350 I paid, OR the original $450 he was asking. I gave him the money and told me I was $50 short, saying it was $400. Got a little heated there for a bit. Told him that I wouldn't have gotten them for that price.

Kelly

The no. on the tag dosn't mean much, you need pictures most of the time, I've walked away from many and a year or more later know one is still rusting away, another sat for 2 years after I turned it down for $75, they scraped it and I bought parts off it at the scrap yard for $10 I've learned another comes along very soon.

baerpath

Deffinitly been cold enough to freeze water in the trans. You just are used to living in the sunny south.

I saw those and the D's he's posted all are listed high, he's a local scrounger. Wouldn't doubt he picked them up for free

Duane

littleredrider

I got out of the house for a bit, went to work on the mess. Didn't do much to the gray one other than take the fenders off, they are in real good shape. Really need to be blasted, so much paint on them and with the grooves is a pain.

The red one with a hydro's has a cracked frame where the tranny bolts on, so that one will be stripped and "retired" so to speak.

But, I got all the hydro stuff off, filled what power steering fluid I had, held it up to a belt on the 63, and it works!!!!!! Now need to get the pieces blasted, and hope that the lift with come out easier than the hydro stuff did.....

Crappy part is now I have to wait till the weekend to do anything, I don't have Tuesdays off anymore......

Kelly

Well don't forget if they are not the same dash tower, you said the axles are not the same that tells me the bell crank/lift set up are not the same and will not interchange, you may have to swap the dash towers to make the hyd. lift fit. not sure if this is clear or not? but you will find out soon if they are diff. swaping frames will mean you will need to use the axle and steering from that tractor, again look closly at the two tractors 62, 63 and 64 tractors all use different steering parts, the 63/64 axles will swap, again if they are diff. years you will soon see.

littleredrider

Once I got to my mom's house where they are, realized I forgot the camera.....

But the dash towers are identical to each other, and to my 63 ranger. If I have to keep everything on the 62, then so be it, just my ranger looks MUCH better than either of these two put together.

Both my rangers run and seem to work fine, don't really need the hydro but would be nice to have. I've always wanted to do a tear down like folks do here, so maybe I'll save the hydro for 62.

Gonna by a sand blasting cabinet this weekend, get some parts cleaned up, I'll try to remember to take my camera.....