Sign in to follow this  
brianf

Axle bearings - carrier type or not?

brianf

I'm in the middle of this 1267 / 5060 unidrive rebuild. I acquired two new axle bearings (actually both inner and outer..but here I'm talking about the outers). As I was looking at them, I noticed that one of them has a carrier in it and the other one is just the rollers like my original ones where. I know that more rollers = more weight capacity, so should I try to find another one without the carrier or do the experts here think it's fine?

I do quite a bit of pulling trailers (moving my boats around the yard) and snowblowing with this machine.

stevasaurus

I feel bad when some one posts and no one answers in a certain time frame. I am not sure what you are talking about, which is maybe why no one answered. Is there a sleeve inside of one of the bearings that a shaft would fit through.??? Is that what you mean??? If it is, then I would go with the same kind that you took out. Does that make any since?? Again...pictures would be great. :thumbs:

TT

He's talking about a caged needle bearing, Steve. I've installed a few in tractors other than my own, so I really don't know how they've held up. :thumbs:

@brianf:

I don't really see what they'd hurt - and if you put enough weight on the tractor to crush axle bearings, you might want to think about buying something a little bigger. :)

Just make sure the axles are in good shape where they ride in the bearings. Chatter marks or roughness on the axle surface will destroy the bearings too.

brianf

Yes a caged bearing is what I meant. I guess I'll try it out for now and just keep a closer eye one it.