Sign in to follow this  
brianf

Removing the axle bearing

brianf

Any tips on removing an axle bearing (1533) from the unidrive? My puller won't fit and I don't see how I can get it out with my press.

stevasaurus

This isn't easy, but it works. I just had the races left in mine, and there is no lip to use a punch to tap them out. I had to cut the race with a Dremel tool and then use an awl and/or a small, sharp screwdriver to tap in between the race and the casting. The race is hardened and breaks easily once you cut through. Takes about 1/2 hour to cut. I bought 2 Tungsten Carbide Cutter bits..one was a #9902...not sure of the other one.

2009_0926ford640003.jpg

Another option was using heat on the casting (up to 500 degrees) and the race should fall out. It did not work for me. Wife said no way to use the oven. :thumbs:

TT

:thumbs: #1533 is the inner axle / differential end cap support bearing. A slide hammer puller or a long skinny rod will remove them.

The outer axle bearings can be removed with a pilot bearing or expanding collet-type puller or driven out from the inside if they're still intact, but can be a real challenge if they're destroyed.

If there's nothing left but the outer shell, I usually "cherry" them up with an O/A torch (welding tip - not cutting head) and attack them while they're still hot. :)

stevasaurus

:thumbs: #1533 is the inner axle / differential end cap support bearing. A slide hammer puller or a long skinny rod will remove them.

I know that TT...but in my case the bearing was destroyed and nothing but the race was left...no way to catch it with a punch or get something under the race to pry it...had to cut it like I said. Just took a little time. :)

TT

I guess I take my welder for granted.....

I just tack weld a piece of steel across the inside of the outer race so it can be driven out. (the heat from welding usually helps "pull" the race loose too)

brianf

I ended up borrowing a slider hammer puller and with two good whacks each bearing came out. The shop press came in handy here as a vice. (and to push the roller bearings out)

stevasaurus

Brian...that is cheating. :thumbs: Not everybody has access to the side hammer thingy. How about posting some pictures of what you did??? :)

brianf

No cheating....I don't have a hammer puller either but Advance Auto parts does loaners and they have the puller set to rule all pullers. It has the slider hammer with a bunch of attachments, a gear puller, a harmonic/steering puller etc.

I attached the bearing hook:

5199490749_344f6a1e61.jpg

Hooked it onto the bearing:

5199490791_3b34563601.jpg

And gave the slide hammer two good wacks using the shop press as a vice:

5200083996_fbe99bdf53.jpg

Note: this is a re-enactment for your viewing pleasure so if you look closely you'll see the press isn't actually holding the case...but I think you get the idea. Be sure to actually hold the hammer straight up when doing this for real.

stevasaurus

Now that is what I am talking about...thanks for sharing those pictures. :thumbs: :)

red hot

what type of grade of gear oil should be replaced in the eight speed rear end ? red hot

stevasaurus

You want to use a good 90wt in the trans. :thumbs: