Sign in to follow this  
ryan2121

Kohler 12hp locked up

ryan2121

I just recently replaced the piston in my k301, after a few minutes of running it is locked up. I have tore it back down and the rod was seized on the crank. Does the oil hole on the main cap on the rod need to be facing a certain direction? That is the only thing I can figure that happened by the looks of the crank it was not getting any oil at all. I would appreciate any information. Thanks

Kelly

The hole faces the cam, but you also have to make sure you put the rod cap back on the same way it came off, if you turn it the hole might not be true round, did you torque it to spec's? I also like to put some assembly lube on the crank when reinstalling the rod.

ryan2121

I torqued it to spec, im not sure which way the hole was facing though the rod is pretty much junk now so ill have to make sure I get the new one in the right direction.

Indy w h

Before you put the new rod back in take a sharpie and mark the oil hole side of

the rod so you don't get it backwards

Indy

daemon2525

You're gonna have to get all of the aluminum off of the crank and then mic it to see if it's worthy of a new rod. I'll bet not.

If you are not sure about the diameter of the crank, then you'll have to take it to a machine shop and have it turned. Then buy a .010 0.020 rod to fit.

There is no other way.

ryan2121

What I have been told is to take a dial caliper and check the run out on each side of the crank and clean where the rod goes really good and mic it, If those check out the crank And if not it can be straightened and turned to fit an oversized rod? At least thats what im thinking ive never worked on these engines before , I normally work on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers with over head cams, These engines are a lot different to me.

WH nut

Clean the crank, buy some platic gage and a new rod and install it correctly. Im sure you will be good to go if your clearances are ok