Sign in to follow this  
brianf

5060 unidrive / diff parts

brianf

So I'm pretty sure I blew the diff out of my 1267 (5060 unidrive). 11 months ago I blew the connecting rod in the engine and just finally got around to getting her running. I've got grinding mostly when I turn the right wheel but the left mostly seems ok so I think the tranny itself is ok. Can I get parts for this diff somewhere if I where to tear it down?

stevasaurus

You are probably going to tear it down anyway...take some pictures and let's see what shows up. I am sure you can get parts...a lot of the transmissions parts are interchangeable...you could just have a bad axle bearing on one side. :thumbs:

KB9LOR

So I'm pretty sure I blew the diff out of my 1267 (5060 unidrive). 11 months ago I blew the connecting rod in the engine and just finally got around to getting her running. I've got grinding mostly when I turn the right wheel but the left mostly seems ok so I think the tranny itself is ok. Can I get parts for this diff somewhere if I where to tear it down?

Just got done splitting and replacing gears on a 5049 tranny, as far as parts go, depends what parts and such, I would split it and see what the problem is, and if parts are available reasonably then replace, if high, look for a donor trans.

Good luck and keep us posted.

brianf

Yep as I guessed, the differential is toast, although it's far worse than I imagined. Picture here: http://yfrog.com/mrl44cxj

Also both roller axle bearings are destroyed, on one side the race is even gone. I did find someone offering a diff and/or a donor transmission. If I can get the rollers, I may just buy the diff, otherwise I guess I'll be looking at a new unit.

Duff

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that unit has some issues..... :)

Duff :thumbs:

oldandred

Yep as I guessed, the differential is toast, although it's far worse than I imagined. Picture here: http://yfrog.com/mrl44cxj

Also both roller axle bearings are destroyed, on one side the race is even gone. I did find someone offering a diff and/or a donor transmission. If I can get the rollers, I may just buy the diff, otherwise I guess I'll be looking at a new unit.

dont think youre going to find a new tranny and if you do I hope you own a bank

look for a 1967 867,1067,1267, 1968 raider 9,10,12

or any eight speed will work

TT

The 5060 isn't "total junk", but they're the worst of the 6/8 speeds - and since they're the first, a lot of parts are unique to that model. (including the crappy aluminum differential end caps)

Get your hands on any of the C series ('76/'77 B60/80/100 too) or the 3/4/500 8 speeds, modify the brake rod, and you'll be back in business. :thumbs:

stevasaurus

brianf...here we go again. it would help to know where you are at...don't need a street address, but sw Ohio...central Ill....Conn. would be helpful. There may be members close to you that could help for far less money...talking about shipping. :)

What I am trying to say is that, you can get a trans replacement and maybe pick it up close to you...rather then have it shipped for more then it is worth.

That is why we have been trying to get new members to put there approx on their signatures...save a lot of time and posts. :thumbs:

brianf

Heh, by new I meant new to me of course :thumbs:

I'm in Southern NH.