Sign in to follow this  
corn53

anyone own a 502

corn53

I have an opportunity to purchase a 502 with a deck. Its minus the tech engine but he does have the pulley. 150 to much for it? Seems to be in decent shape and not rusty.

Kelly

I buy most any round hood that is in fair shape not cut up, I find for $150 and under, they quit making them a few years ago, and parts are getting harder to find.

TT

Yep - that is about the going price for them these days, thanks to "the craze".

If you're hell-bent on a "correct" restoration, you might have a tough time finding an original Lauson engine.

puddlejumper

Yep - that is about the going price for them these days, thanks to "the craze".

If you're hell-bent on a "correct" restoration, you might have a tough time finding an original Lauson engine.

:thumbs: Just :) almost impossible almost

corn53

The correct engine is a Tecumseh Model: HT55C. I checked and thats even hard to find. :thumbs: If I get it hope to find a pull start kohler.

Don1977

Put a Kohler K-91 on it and charge on they have never made a tougher little engine.

I bought one in 1964 and put it on a minibike ran it till 1971. I put a set of ring in it and my friends boys ran it on there minibike for another 5 years. I got it back and put it on a yard vacuum and ran it until three years ago. I only removed it because got a killer deal on a 4 HP Honda. I'm saving it for a Round Hood if I ever find one.

rydogg

Price is about right as long as its pretty much complete. I am looking at a 502 a few hours from home that is complete and in great shape but it does not have the original motor the asking price on that one is $200 without a deck. I grab up any round hood within about 3 hours of me as long as the price is $200 or less (depending on condition). I pay more for the good ones that are closer to home. The techy/lauson motors are hard to find but be patient they come up once and a while otherwise put a nice little kohler in there.

stevasaurus

Here is what they look like...I think original...except for paint. Does have the HT55C-3088P and runs great.

2009_11105020006.jpg

2009_11105020004.jpg

2009_11105020005.jpg

Hope that helps...

puddlejumper

Not going to argue with steve, But I am pretty sure they had flat pan seats. And should have parking brake and cover on left side?? :thumbs:

sorekiwi

But I am pretty sure they had flat pan seats. And should have parking brake and cover on left side?? :thumbs:

I think you are correct.

b574_12.jpg

stevasaurus

No argument intended...actually, I would like to know what is not correct...I have a flat seat on my 702 that I could switch. as far as the brake parts and shield...I have those parts and just have not had the time to switch them out. Really would like to know what is and is not correct on this horse...don't want to steal a thread...but am willing to take extra pictures to figure this out....this is the one horse that I have that I want to do a total restore. :thumbs: :)

TT

Mine is buried in the back corner of the shop, but I do have one.

1562103263_c4b50240c6.jpg

I temporarily borrowed the hood and rear tires for another tractor, and the engine is now an HH60, but it's a well-preserved machine otherwise.

I also have a 552, but it's been tampered with:

042508004.jpg

puddlejumper

Steve, I believe I see another flaw in your tractor hard to tell for sure but the 62s did not have a rolled lip around the bottom edge of the hood so your hood is from a 63 or newer.

corn53

They are neat looking tractors :) I gonna check it out and see whats up. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Steve, I believe I see another flaw in your tractor hard to tell for sure but the 62s did not have a rolled lip around the bottom edge of the hood so your hood is from a 63 or newer.

I think you're just seeing the pin-striping that his dad did to it, if you look close, you'll see it all over the tractor.

bell

I have one... :thumbs:

dieselhorse_013.jpg