Sign in to follow this  
cgambino

wont start (check lights wont even come on)

cgambino

:thumbs: i have double trouble.

i have a 89 312-8 with a 37inch deck.

like an idiot i over heated the brake yesterday (yes i ran it with the brake on, in 3rd gear) and then after turning off the unit to unload the grass, i went to restart it and nothing (0, zip, nil) the check lights on the left dont even light up.

i have also had a problem with the clutch sometimes short connecting.. by this I mean sometines it engages to the driv every short (2 inches up from compressed).. other times as normal about 5/6 inches back from compressed.

i have no idea, where to look first (the battery was charged overnight, last night and is only 1 year old, it showed no sign of a dead batter before this).

i find it very interesting that none of the check light even light up.

any and all help is appreciated.

Chris

TT

Did you check the fuse(s)?

Corroded wire connections are common on these machines, so you might also want to try wiggling or disconnecting the plug from the ignition switch and plugging it in again. (perhaps a few times)

cgambino

thats for advice. took the battery out and was playing with the wires..

all look old but still ok.. i did press the test button and all the lights on the left light up but the engine oil light blinked.

all ideas of what to look into next are welcome.

Thanks

Chris

rmaynard

Since the brake is purely mechanical, I don't think that has anything to do with it, unless some of the wiring was routed in the vicinity of the brake band, got hot and shorted. You do have a clutch interlock switch that could be causing the "no start" problem, and because of the clutch problem you mentioned, I would look in that direction.

Bob

Duff

Chris, not related to your starting issue, but if you fried the brake band you may encounter a problem I had when I did the exact same thing. :wh: Keep a close eye on the tranny case for a leak developing around the shaft the brake drum is mounted on. Right after I fried my brake the oil seal let go (melted?) and began to run like a sieve. Unfortunately when I went to replace it I wasn't able to get the old one out in good enough condition to see if it actually had melted. If it does start to leak, it's a fairly easy replacement job.

Just a thought..... :)

Duff :thumbs:

cgambino

thanks for the heads up.. will keep an eye on the tranny oil level - Chris :thumbs:

cgambino

since i have already shown my lack of knowledge.. can someone tell me where the clutch interlock switch is located? - Chris

buckeye

should be on the right side, and is engaged by the the clutch pully. Also when you hit the test button for the lights, the blinking oil light is a result of the engine not running.

TT

It's under the drive belt guard and mounts in the "console" section of the hoodstand.

The arm for the belt tensioner pulley is what activates the switch on your particular tractor.

If you look down through the shifter "gate" openings, you can probably see the wiring on the back of the switch.

cgambino

I took the side off the tractor tonight and took the clutch interlock switch out.

I hooked a test light up to the two wires (that connect the cluter interlock switch), put the key in the ignition an turned.. and nothing .. the test light didnt even light up. the console lights still dont light up.

:thumbs:

any ideas of what to look at next are appreciated.

On a more positive note I did take the time to clean off the rust and put a coat of paint on the back of the side panel

Thanks again

Chris

TT

Did you check the fuses?

Is the PTO lever completely disengaged?

buckeye

wire them together, see what happens. check the pto switch, seat switch, and recheck all you connections. did you take TT's advise? could be an ignition switch, but i would check over everything before you start tearing everything apart

keg

i incidently blew 1 of my fuses yesterday. i had checkd both of them wen i replaced the blown 1. nothing no lights no nothing no crank i cleand em and got rid of corrosion and vuala she come to life again so id take his advice and check fuses

cgambino

Got it working this weekend.. it was the electical behind the key... a little wiggling and pushing of wires did the trick...

thanks all for helping me out.

Chris :thumbs:

Kelly

I know it's not easy to get to, but you should pull the plug, clean it the best you can and fill it with dielectric grease to help keep from melting the plug and making things worse.