Sign in to follow this  
TT

Pair of 408 Gravely's

TT

In an ebay search for a camshaft for a K181 Kohler, I stumbled across a pair of 70's Gravely 408 tractors located about 20 miles from home. Both tractors have K181S engines with gear starters, battery ignition, and mechanical fuel pumps. With the exception of them being mounted "backwards" (PTO on left side) they are virtually identical to the engine on my 1975 B-80. :D

They also have 3 terminal ignition switches that will work on the older S/G tractors like the 854, 857, etc., but have the Indak key instead of the Cole-Hersee "flag-style" key. (no biggie - as long as the tractor starts & runs! :dunno: ) I also see a lot of good steel and rods & linkages that always come in handy on some of my fabrications. :D

The transaxles are possibly of a Peerless design :whistle: , with 4 speeds and a separate forward / reverse section. This enables the speed selector shifter to be placed in one of four "gears" and the "T" handle on the right side of the dash tower is used for direction. (similar to a shuttle shift, I guess - but I'd say the tractor must be completely stopped before moving the lever) The red one is stuck in 4th gear, but I might try to figure out why when I get time.

The Kohlers will be "prepped" and tested on each machine, and then removed and stored for later use.

Hmmmmm..... wonder what a triple-engined Wheel Horse would be like????? :WRS:

I'm not exactly sure if I will try to ebay some of the other parts, but there is some weight to these little fellers, so scrapping them might be the best pay-off. :D

Here's the pics from the ebay listing. It was too dark to take my own when I got them home and unloaded. (maybe tomorrow?)

1b1b_1.jpg

29d9_1.jpg

kpinnc

Nice haul Terry. Gotta love the price too. :whistle:

Kevin

combatmp29r

Very Nice Terry :whistle: I see all kinds of spare parts in there :D :WRS:

Stigian

A nice haul Terry :whistle: im sure your find a use for all those "handy to have" spares :WRS: :D

perry

here is a pic of the gravely i had kicking around here last year. if i remember right, the oil pans have a bottom oil drain plug and wont fit on the wheel horse frame. i put the K181 on a commando 8oo and sold it for $400.

i think i still have the gravely oil pan.

WH800023.jpg

TT

I did notice that the mounting holes in the pan are threaded and the bolts screw up through from the bottom. I didn't look much closer yet. :whistle:

I did do a little work on the red one this morning -- I stole the home made tie rod off of it for another project. :WRS: (it had almost new MTD-style ball joints on a piece of 3/8" threaded rod.)

TT

Since I had the camera out today, I took a picture of the three-legged white 408, and the "Gravely specific" transaxle from the red & white one. :WRS:

I'm pretty sure it's a Peerless, and it has 4 forward speeds with a separate forward / reverse section on the top rear.

I still haven't attempted to get the white one running, but the red & white one is finally "stripped". :whistle:

051108021-1.jpg

051108022.jpg

Sparky

So is there this poor little Gravely sittin in the middle of a bunch of Wheel Horses? If I was that Gravely I'd be real scared. Kinda like the Blender in the "Brave Little Toaster" movie when he's in the parts shop about to get his motor yanked. Anyone with kids will know what I'm talkin about.

Mike........

TT

Mike, Yeah. :D

It's the only "odd-ball" on this side of the highway. I parked it in front of the neighbor's Farmall Cub so it would feel somewhat protected. :WRS::D

I almost have myself convinced to spare it from the "engine donor" status....

It would probably make someone a good little mower. :whistle:

perry

Kinda like the Blender in the "Brave Little Toaster" movie when he's in the parts shop about to get his motor yanked. Anyone with kids will know what I'm talkin about.

Mike........

now i remember what that trans looks likes. i shipped mine to PA. think i got $75 plus shipping for it.

and ya . i have that movie on the shelf :whistle:

TT

Well, it may have taken two months to get there, but the little white 408 finally got to run today! :whistle:

I cleaned the gas tank, (which I found was recently replaced) blew the line out, cleaned the points, and stuck a good battery in it and it fired right up! I didn't even have to tweak the carb screws or nuthin! :D

I have the deck torn apart right now and need to do a little work to the right gearbox (Peerless right-angle) and un-buckle the shell from too many crashes into immovable objects. :D

I still have to round up a pair of little front tires, but it looks like this is going to be a "FOR SALE" tractor real soon. :WRS:

perry

i have all 4 original tires on rims for that gravely. and i also should have the angle gear box's you need.

TT

Shoot me a price for the two front wheels & tires, and the R.H. deck gearbox if you will, Perry. The bottom bearing is bad on the R.H. box, but the L.H. box is in good shape. :whistle:

perry

ill dig that stuff out for ya.

the white gravelys are the more collectable ones . i think there is even a club devoted to the little white ones.

perry

you still need a original tire ?.

TT

Actually, no.

I dropped a junk bicycle off at a friends garage (scrap pile) the other day and went wondering around through the pile. There hiding behind an old CJ-5 Jeep was a Montgomery Wards lawn tractor with one NEW front tire (the other was also decent) in the exact size I needed. I quickly called my friend and asked if I he wanted to get rid of them. He told me I could have them for FREE! :whistle:

I don't even have to swap wheels if I don't want to, but the MW wheel hubs are about 1/4" narrower. I put two 1/8" thick washers on the inside for now, just so I could drive the tractor around. B)

I also found an R-14 bearing for the blade gearbox for $3.95 + shipping and it should be here today. Napa had to order the seal B) and I should have it Tuesday. Things are actually starting to look up a little - FINALLY! B)

Thanks for keeping tabs on this, Perry! B)

TT

Here's the end result of some parts and a few hours labor. (scrubbing, polishing, new battery, one front tire & tube, rebuild of one deck gearbox, and a complete "Krylon restoration" of the mower deck. B) )

The little Gravely is now ready to find a new owner - although I really hate to see that excellent-running K-181 Kohler leave. :whistle: )

Gravely408071008001.jpg

Gravely408071008003.jpg

Gravely408071008002.jpg

Gravely408071008004.jpg

Gravely408071008005.jpg

Gravely408071008007.jpg

th_Gravely408071008006.jpg

kpinnc

Cute little feller, ain't it?

Sure looks like a tough little machine Terry. Good luck finding it a new home!

Kevin

DMESS

Not a bad little tractor. I bet it mows nice too with that full length deck roller. Heck, probably makes a nice stripe!

perry

did you sell this yet ?. i found both front tires if you want them.

TT

Yeah.... it's gone, Perry.

B)