Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Onan Carbs and Fuel filters

Forest Road

So I'm going over my recently acquired 520H. The carb, fuel lines, and tank were a mess. I ran new fuel lines, cleaned out the tank and installed a new clear fuel filter. And a new exact model Ebay carb. And the PO installed a new fuel pump, which had to be cleaned out. Proud of my accomplishments I turned the key and cranked my heart out w/ NO luck.

I could see fuel entering the filter and what appeared to be fuel spraying out the exhaust ports, no muffler at this point. So I pulled the intake mainifold and inspected my intake and carb seals. All looked good. I know I have spark w/ the ether but too much fuel/not enough???? I'm a tinkerer not a gear head.

I recalled a conversation w/ a man sometime ago about to restrictive a fuel filter. I spent $3.58 on a clear cheaper filter. Watched the fuel pour in and the engine roared to life!

Now onto the governor. Its stuck wide open. And the PO had the carb off so I'm not even sure that the linkage is setup properly. Does anyone have a picture available of the carb linkage?

Thanks

Kevin

TT

onan008.jpg

onan009.jpg

From the manual:

onangov.jpg

Kelly

Now this may sound very odd, I have 2 520's one when the engine is off the gov. holds the throttle wide open but as soon as it starts it closes it, the other one it seems normal, it is closed when not running, both run like champs so I'm not messing with them.

Forest Road

You guys are quick! TT thanks for the pics.

I have a 96 and there's a spring wrapped around the linkage going to the cab. It mounts in a hole next to the link rod and a smaller hole on the governor arm. I don't see that smaler hole in TT's pic. Its definately an OEM spring. It pulls the governor and the butterfly wide open.

Kelly do either of yours have that spring?

Kelly

I believe both mine have that spring, it's dark out right now I'll try to remember to get a picture tomorrow.

TT

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the spring on the throttle to governor link is there to hold tension on both ends so it doesn't vibrate and/or come unhooked. (as if it could :thumbs: )

It shouldn't be pulling anything open or closed.

Forest Road

That makes sense. And thinking about it now the rod would prohibit the movement of the throttle by that spring.

Forest Road

Good news! There's nothing wrong w/ the governor! The PO had it apart and must have lost the clip whic holds the linkage onto the carb throttle lever. Toro #57-9700. the Onan purrs quite nicely with just the spring hooked up to it. One of the fuses melted inside the fuse holder. Aside from those two issues its looking good!