Sign in to follow this  
qd-16

qd-16

When looking at parts diagrams of the trans. in my 1057, I notice differences in the differential where the pinions are. This looks different inside than my 856.

Is the 1057/1257 trans. weaker than other wheel horse trans.? or just a different internal design? I wanted to use a snow plow on the 1057 this winter but didn't want to chance damaging it. Thanks for any info, Al.

sorekiwi

I think your 1057 has the 5058 Unidrive with the automotive style pinion gears in the differential?

A lot of people have had problems with this style of differential, and they are generally regarded as the weaker of the differentials.

On the other hand I have one in my 1276 (hydro) and I love it. I swear that tractor has more traction than any on my others, and that includes 4,8 and 10 pinion diffs.

I plowed all last year with that tractor and never got stuck. Yes I spun wheels, but I never got stuck.

I have another dead trans on the shelf with the same differential, and when I find my round 'tuit I'm gonna pull the diff out of it for one of the other tractors.