Sign in to follow this  
Brandonsj04

Weekend Haul; Brotha' From Another Motha',Opinion

Brandonsj04

Well I had a good find this weekend about 45 minutes from my place. Picked up a 48" Side Discharge deck and mule drive in great condition that I have been looking for as the rear discharge deck leaves a bit to be desired. Also picked up a 42" short chute snowblower in good condition only needing a chute cable, and the bonus item that you will have to scroll down to see. (First time posting pics so lets see how I do)

016.jpg

019.jpg

I started taking off the wings and chute as I am going to sand them down and repaint it, so this is complete but just a work in progress.

101_2570.jpg

Good Ole' Jack Frost is back in town

101_2575.jpg

101_2574-1.jpg

101_2572.jpg

101_2573.jpg

I already had the 520-H, which is original, but seen his brother from another mother on craigslist with above said items and couldn't resist this increadible steal. It's a Work Horse GT-1800, with an 18 hp Briggs, hydro drive, and lift. Essentially its a base model to my almost fully loaded 520-h. I never heard of the Work Horse series until I saw the craigslist posting, did some research on here and came up with the general idea that Wheel Horse made this series to try to break into the JD dealerships. (please correct me if I'm wrong, I would very much like to know the history on this series). She's in ruff shape, but I guess everything is fixable with money and some elbow grease. The big problem I'm facing is the engine. There is an apparent dropped rod that I don't believe has exited the block, so hopefully the engine is still salvagable. I also noticed the pto clutch is down to the rivets, and read post that most people just buy a used one. Well thats all fine and dandy, but this is a 1" shaft not a 1 1/8" shaft (from what I read), so what to do? Also the p.o.(who admittedly said that he knows nothing about engines, and bought a JD when the service shop said that the briggs in the gt-1800 dropped a rod) said he thinks the flywheel is missing teeth also. What would you do? Spend the money and put the 18hp Briggs I/C back into commision; parts for these engines are actually pretty cheap compared to my onan. Think easy and long term and drop a used kohler in it. Sell it as is? Part it out? I really don't need two Brute's, I was actually in the market for a 312-8 which is better on gas and I'm dying to try out the 8 speeds.

baerpath

To bad your not closer, I have a 18hp briggs from a Sears thatr would be a dropin replacement. And as far as the clutch a LOT of horses used a one inch crank,briggs tecumseh and 8 hp Kohlers were all one inch

Duane

Brandonsj04

Come on people, this isn't a high school prom, you don't have to ask permission to dance, vote or reply. :thumbs: I was a lurker too, but let's hear your opinion, you can't be wrong!

Brandonsj04

Baerpath, I know your not close to me, but what do one of those engines go for used in good running condition? Are they pretty reliable? If everything is salvageable, new pistons, rings, connecting rods, valves, full gasket set, and machining will only put me back around $300-$350. So that's not too bad, but are theses engines worth it with reasonable care?

Horse Fanatic

I have a GT1800 and it it is a great machine. When I found it, It was run low on oil and the engine was ruined as a result. I bought it for $100 and it came with a 48" mowing deck. I put a used nice running 18 hp Briggs on it (came from another brand tractor) and it can do anything my 418-A or my 520-H can do.

Good luck!

wheel horse 1045

i voted for the kohler only because Ive had my best luck with them,good luck on your decision and remember what ever you do :thumbs:

Don1977

I believe the only thing that you will need to change to a 1 1/8" Kohler shaft is the PTO sleeve, and the drive pulley. I don't know this for sure, but Wheel Horse never changed anything they didn't have to. I would think all the other parts of the PTO would be the same. I never had had a Wheel Horse with a 1" engine shaft from the factory so some one will have to verify this.

mavfreak

part it out I want the screen over engine!

jusjeepn

I'd consider trading you a 312-8 in very similar condition. The 12 hp Kohler let a rod go in it also. I think you can tell how I voted. :thumbs:

Irv

I'd say watch for a motor, either briggs or kohler at a reasonable price or a tractor with one that you can get for cheap (that's what I've done). The GT looks like it could be a nice restore.

Operator

I had a GT-1848, nice tractor but that Briggs was noisey, I'd find a Kohler maybe a 16 hp and plunk in it.

Randy

baerpath

Baerpath, I know your not close to me, but what do one of those engines go for used in good running condition? Are they pretty reliable? If everything is salvageable, new pistons, rings, connecting rods, valves, full gasket set, and machining will only put me back around $300-$350. So that's not too bad, but are theses engines worth it with reasonable care?

I bought a Sear GTV18 for the engine for $100.00. Tranny crapped out so I bought it for a spare engine. Usually a briggs twin is $200-$300 aprox here.

I would look at a replacement after looking inside the engine and figuring out just what it needs.

Duane

Brandonsj04

Well thanks guys for all the replies and votes :thumbs: , although the votes were all over the place. I thought for sure the "Fix Briggs, Restore, Who cares what I need, its a WH!!" was going to be unanimous. Well tune in tomorrow(technically today) as I will post pics of the 18 hp briggs and stratton carnage or lack thereof (cliffhanger).

Save Old Iron

If you add the "Bring the 18 hp Briggs back to life" to the "Fix Briggs, Restore, Who cares what I need, its a WH" votes..

That's over half the votes saying fix the Briggs. :thumbs: :)

bitten

You can also replace the PTO lining.

wheelhorsec85

put a kohler in it :thumbs::) . hay put a 12 hp kohler in it then you will have a 312 that you wanted just gray :wh:

Don1977

put a kohler in it :thumbs::) . hay put a 12 hp kohler in it then you will have a 312 that you wanted just gray :wh:

I vote to change the color and make a 312 A. Just some red paint and

new decals.

YNOT

Replacing a briggs with a kohler will also require different ignition setup

Different Starter switch, Etc.. Etc..

Tony

SALTYWRIGHT

HI.......I HAVE A GT-1800 ALSO. THEY WERE ONLY MADE ONE YEAR (1984) I HAVE 4 OTHER WHEEL HORSES AND THE GT-1800 IS THE BEST RUNNER. MINE WAS PAINTED BLACK FROM THE FACTORY. YOU CAN PUT A DIESEL IN IT FOR $500.00.

I DID THAT WITH MY 417-8. RUSS :thumbs:

Brandonsj04

Well here is some of the pictures that I took tearing down the 18 hp Briggs today. I have more but for some reason photobucket keeps saying they fail to upload.

101_2576.jpg

This is the flywheel picture with "some" teeth missing? What do you think? More than a few and little less than many? Nah "some" best defines it. (laughable sarcasm). How does this happen, never seen this before. How does a plastic starter gear do this much damage to a cast iron flywheel?

101_2577.jpg

Removal of the oil pan shows this sight. Rod cap, cap bolt, and a valve tappet?!?!? Rod cap, shards of rod, and the bolts I've seen, but how did the valve tappet come loose?

101_2578.jpg

This is of the inside of crankcase, hard to see because I was facing the sun. Top Right you can make out the con rod that let go, actually pretty close to where it connects to the crank which is why it probably didn't swing around again and puncture a hole in the block. Bottom left is other con rod connected to the crank with the oil flipperoo/splasheroo. Cylinders have quite a bit of ring wear, and a few deep scratches; the piston is junk; crank does have some scoring not deep but will have to see if it does need to be turned. Anybody know where I can find the specs/tolerances/torque settings for this engine? According to toro its a Model 422437, Type 0663-01? This is as far as I got dismantiling the engine, neighbor needed help in the middle of tear down so will keep you updated on what I find.

Brandonsj04

Oh yeah, the oil in the engine looked clean, but not clean to the point where is was run low, blew, and then they added more thinking all would be ok (looks like it has gone through a couple hours of cycles). So I think my problem has to do something with the valve tappet. Experts?