dclarke

857 rebuild

Martin

looks real nice denny, bringing it to jacksonville?

on a side note, glad to see im not the only one with bench work space covered with so much stuff that theres no where to work........ :thumbs:

• Like 1

dclarke

looks real nice denny, bringing it to jacksonville?

on a side note, glad to see im not the only one with bench work space covered with so much stuff that theres no where to work........ :thumbs:

I'm tryin to get it done in time for the Jacksonville show, still have a few things to finish up..... Funny you say that about the work bench, I told Teri last weekend that I have too much "stuff" out. I can't find anything without having to look for it and everything has red paint dust on it, I can't wait to get this project done so I can clean this mess up.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I got this finished up today, overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering I painted this one myself.

You should be Denny! That is one gorgeous piece of :wh:  eye candy! :jaw:  Very nice work. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

That is NICE!!!

sorekiwi

Looks really nice Denny.  You've got some serious shine on that paint!

Terry M

Looks really nice Denny.  You've got some serious shine on that paint!

I agree Denny!!!  Thats some serious shine you put on that 857!!.....I think I just found a new painter :teasing-poke: .....

Kelly

Very nice looking machine, you should be proud 

MalMac

Looks great Denny, Reminds me of when we were a dealer and we had them setting in the show room with Sickle Bars on them. Seem to sell more attachments if people could actually see the attachment on the tractor. Like said before, you should be proud. Glad that bar got a good home.

dclarke

I took the sickle bar off and put the mower deck on this morning. I bought this with the intent to make it a worker, I'll use it to mulch leaves this fall then put the snow blower on it for the winter.  I've been tinkering with Wheel Horses for a few years now and I finally have one that I can use. :woohoo:  

001_zpscd8f875a.jpg

002_zpsa681eb4b.jpg

This is what it looked like when I brought it home.
436_zps3ad22c0d.jpg

438_zps9c6856ab.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Denny, I think you have a couple of shots for the next calendar.  Just gorgeous. :)

Horse Play

Beautiful tractor - gives me some inspiration!  

I just ordered the same Michigan V-3500 seat and I really like the spring setup and was wondering what you used???

dclarke

Beautiful tractor - gives me some inspiration!  

I just ordered the same Michigan V-3500 seat and I really like the spring setup and was wondering what you used???

I think the springs are from a C160 Wheel Horse. I believe those springs were used on several Wheel Horse models, though not sure which ones.

Martin

You can use them from many 70s and 80s models. Be careful though, my 95 416 has 8" bolt hole centers, they changed them from 7" some time, in the late 80s early 90s I'm guessing.......both my 80s tractors and all my 70s have 7"......... You would need 7" bolt hole centers if you are using them on a 60s tractor. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

dclarke

I picked up a new set of vintage tire chains at an auction this summer. They were made to fit car tires so I'm cutting them down to fit my tractor. A guy at work gave me a pair of pliers made to replace cross links, they sure make this job a lot easier. He used to run a service station back in the 70's and used them quite often back then.

004_zpscf4e5e6b.jpg

003_zps422d1317.jpg

005_zpsa6ef6889.jpg

006_zpsffc504e0.jpg

007_zps9fa5b019.jpg

008_zps371316da.jpg

• Like 3

Martin

great tool there Denny. you gave me a new tool to search for......

are you going to use them on the 857 this winter? i thought about getting one of my sets sorted and sending them in to get zinc plated.....

dclarke

are you going to use them on the 857 this winter? i thought about getting one of my sets sorted and sending them in to get zinc plated.....

Yeah, Martin. That's what they're going on. I've got the blower mounted and ready except for the chute cable, I need to get these chains on and I still have to put the weights on.

• Like 1

dclarke

Looks like Autozone sells them. Part number 7301

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Just saw this thread now...Very nice Restoration Denny!

dclarke

I've had trouble with the knob on my throttle cable spinning on the shaft when I try to lock it in position so I drilled a hole and put a roll pin in it. I'm hoping that will cure the problem.

002_zps87c2de02.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Often wondered...what makes 'em lock into position when turned?    :scratchead: 

rmaynard

I've had trouble with the knob on my throttle cable spinning on the shaft when I try to lock it in position so I drilled a hole and put a roll pin in it. I'm hoping that will cure the problem.

002_zps87c2de02.jpg

Details, details, details....I love detail work. That's a great idea. Now if you can just find a way to keep the locking mechanism from breaking...

• Like 1

Terry M

Clever Idea Denny. :handgestures-thumbupright:   As far as what make it lock when you turn it, Isn't there some type of locking ring that expands and holds tight when you turn the knob?  or am I thinking of something different.. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

squonk

I bought on of those replacement throttles for my 704. Broke in 5 min. I put my old one back on. Knob is worn but it has worked for 50 yrs. The heck with it!  :)  :rolleyes:

chazm

Yea Denny ,I did the same thing to my raider & it worked for awhile ...  :greetings-clappingyellow:    Till the plastic knob breaks from pulling/twisting on it ...  :bitch: