Sign in to follow this  
rrlascott

Timing

rrlascott

I have a GT 14. Where is the timing mark on the flywheel and what does it look like. I think I found it, but timing marks are usually more pronounced and set closer to the teeth. I got it running, but I'm having a hell of a time setting the gap just right. I never thought you'd need to do something like this to a thumper engine. It seems I have to use the timing light to set the gap just right, which will correct the timing, so it doesn't back fire at higher RPMs. There is not alot of room to get anything in there to set the gap either, while it's running. My slant 6 dodge dart was a breeze compaired to this. A timing light on a single cylinder. I'd have never thought it would be.

HELP

dryrun

HELLO, I am by no means an expert, just an old feller who would like a few more details.

Are you working on a kohler K321, and if so, is it magneto, or electronic ign?

What gap are you adjusting?

What caused the timing change to begin with, such as: new flywheel, new points, engine overhaul etc ?

There is no timing on electronic module, just gap it at 5 to 8 thousands from the magnet.

Timing mark on magneto ing will be S or SP 20 degrees before tdc or T.

You slide the breaker point plate either toward or away from eng.

I do it shutting eng off, and change a little at a time, too many irons in the fire at one time if you get my drift.

Remember, I am not an suthority, but when you post a question, don"t be afraid to add a lot of info, and any details of work.

REGARDS GEORGE