Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

8 speed question

harleyjj

I just bought my first wheel horse so please excuse me if this is a stupid question!

When the tractor is in motion and I depress the clutch fully it feels as though the rear wheels lock up. If i depress the clutch only part way it disengages the engine as I assume it should, and I can stop using the brake pedal. Is this normal or is something out of whack???

jasoncracer

hmmmm explain that a little better :thumbs:

stevasaurus

I'm going to stick my neck out here...if I have any neck left... :thumbs: and say this. Guy went to the doctor and said it hurts when I do this...and the doctor said don't do this. :) Sounds like you have a tractor that has the separate brake pedal on the right hand side., and the clutch on the left. :wh: I would say that it is not out of the ordinary for what you are talking about...remember that this is not a car...where you shift through the gears...if you want 3rd gear, you start out in third gear.

Not sure if that answers your question...like before...a little more explanation would help. :)

harleyjj

yes it is a C111 with the brake on the right and clutch on the left.

what I mean by my description previously is:

say I'm in third gear driving across my yard (yes I took off from a stop in third and did not change gears while in motion). I want to slow the tractor down and come to a stop. When I depress the clutch pedal all the way to the foot board it feels as though the rear wheels lock up and it skids to a sudden stop. If i only depress the clutch 3/4 of the way, it declutches the engine and I can either coast to a stop or apply the foot brake. Does pressing the clutch all the way in somehow also activate the brake? or is there something wrong?

sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post

stevasaurus

Honestly Harley...after you explained it...I am not sure if you have a problem or not. The wheels on my B-100 do not do what you are talking about. (locking up). I am going to sit back and watch this one and learn also. I will go out and take a look at the linkage on my B-100 though. If I see something and no one has hopped in here, let you know. :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Thanks TT...kind of figured something like that, just did not know how to explain it. :thumbs:

rmaynard

I am going say that what is happening on your C-111 is not correct. The clutch and brake setup is the same as my B-100. The clutch pedal is only supposed to disengage the drive belt, and the brake pedal tightens the brake band. They are totally independent of each other.

Bob

jdog_kustoms

my 416-8 does the same i only use the clutch and it will keep the tractor from moving what is hap[pening is that the clutch idlerpulley has a tab over it to keep the belt on it it pinches the belt when the clutch is pushed the hole way and it makes the belt stop and that make the rear stop it is all hooked up correctly

zieg72

I am so glad I read every post. I learned something today. Thanks guys, I know I would have scratched my head if it happened on me with my 417-8 I just recently picked up.

TT

I shouldn't have to post this, but I will anyhow.

Don't trust or rely on this "neat little tractor trick" to stop or hold the tractor in all situations. It's really :thumbs: that it works the way it does, but the pedal on the right is the real brake. :)

jdog_kustoms

i was just posting it to tell what happens i use the brake most of the time but i tore half my 416-8 apart about a dozen times till i figured out what was qwrong i thought at first it was the rear

but like tt said use the brake cuase the tab does bend and the tractor still moves then

Forest Road

This is why I love this site!!!!! How many of would've ponder those very thoughts? Thanks guys!

Be careful! They grow on you! I bought my first 312-8 in May a second one two weeks later and a 520 this past Sunday!

jdog_kustoms

they do grow i bought my first 416-8 a little over a year ago now i have 20 plus lol :thumbs: they just follow me home

harleyjj

Thanks much for the explaination guys! It makes perfect sense to me now.

You are very right about these things being addictive! Now I want an RJ for my son very badly! anyone have a cheap project?

SAM58

I have a 416-8 that does the same thing sometimes, but going down a hill it just free wheels.

I agree that the belt is getting pinched and stopping the tranny from turning.

Same thing as hitting the brake. might be able to adjust the clutch a little to keep it from locking up the tires...

As far as collecting.... these Wheelhorses multiply like rabbits...

had one in April, two in June, three In July, sold one to My brother in Sept.

back to 3 In Oct. and going to look at another one in a day or two.

How do we stop the madness!!!? :thumbs:

Duff

How do we stop the madness!!!? :)

Perhaps the better question would be, "Do we even WANT to stop the madness?" :wh:

Duff :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

"As far as collecting.... these Wheelhorses multiply like rabbits..."

You said a mouthfull there and I have only one thing to add. I say Bring on the Wabbits :thumbs:

John

Anglo Traction

I'm just glad my madness started with a 'Single Pedal' :) !....... Then I went and got another 'Wed Wun' wiv 2 pedals :thumbs: .

boatman

:thumbs: I have a 414-8 and a 416-8 and just recenly sold a 1982 c125-8

that I had bought new. They all do the same thing as you described with

the clutch. Thismust be normal as I have never had any problems in that

area. I did learn something thoabout why they do this. I had never really

thought why they did what they do. Always something to learn here. :)